Sunday, May 9, 2021

9th May 2021

Well we have done with voting till the next time.  Good and bad things, vote left or right and meet the anger  of either side.  But focussing on the good side, the two mayors of the major North and South cities - Manchester and London are in the hands of Labour.  My daughter pointed out it was because there is mainly a young tribe of people in the towns and they just don't vote for the Right but vote for Labour, only the old vote Conservative!  

And the Greens are making slow but positive waves, I shall probably be dead before they get more politicians in parliament, but 8 in Scotland will balance the call for independence with the SNP.  Also done well in the councils.

Andy Burnham made a humble speech, touched upon devolution, he is my hero at the moment, please don't let him be seduced by becoming the head of the Labour party.  Yes, I know Starmer has not made the grade yet, but brains and rhetoric might win the day.

8 comments:

  1. I am never really sure how we judge brains. I look back to Churchill who many British people really do believe was totally responsible for winning the War - and I read now about his exploits. I listen to some of the Politicians on programmes like News Night and listen to their cleverly worded arguments - but I often wonder how they would really cope in a crisis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose it is the difference between intellect and intelligence. Starmer is the intellectual one, is grounded in law and the presentation of the facts. Burnham speaks from the heart and is grounded in empathy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On Thursday and Friday I was in despair. How could my fellow countrymen and women be so easily hoodwinked by an egotistical, lying, morally bankrupt monster like Johnson? I admire Keir Starmer but it is looking like he is not the leader that Labour needs right now. Perhaps Labour needs a woman at the top. What do you think about Jess Phillips?

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is lively, outspoken and passionate, politics will eventually grind her down though. As for Johnson, perhaps we should ask about the morality of the people willing to vote for a liar. He is a buffoon, or at least plays it to the audience. He is the Court Jester at the head of the Tories.

    Interesting quote from Jess Phillips....

    In March 2019, she said: "I think I'd be a good prime minister" and that "I feel like I can't leave the Labour Party without rolling the dice one more time. I owe it that. But it doesn't own me. It’s nothing more than a logo if it doesn't stand for something that I actually care about – it’s just a f***ing rose."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots more Green County Councillors in Suffolk this time but mostly Conservative as usual. People would collapse in shock if it changed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Bristol has done well on its council as well. A slow but sure way for the Greens to move up the scale. People vote for that which is safe and unchanged Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bristol has turned quite radical over the last few years. It will be ages before there is any serious opposition though. The Trump effect will rumble on until it is seen for what it is by ordinary people trying to lead ordinary lives.

      Delete
    2. Bristol and Bath are always interesting. Did you know that the Ecology Party later Green Party started in the Chippenham area. Stroud was one of the first towns to go green. Though I don't understand how Trump affects the Bristolians....

      Delete

Love having comments!