Thursday, May 27, 2021

27th May 2021

 

Going for a walk yesterday, looking over at the grave yard and a roe deer suddenly looked up and then scampered off amongst the yews.  First time I have seen them in the village, though I once pulled a dead one off the road.  A medieval deer park used to exist for the use of hunting by the monks in past history but I doubt that the little deer I saw yesterday was the ancestor of them.

Anyway I went for my walk but took the wrong direction for as I went over the bridge into the first farm a muddy river of trampled mud by cattle at the gate stopped me. My walk was to see the barn owl or even the heron, both of which I was missing.  Also to check bluebells in the little wood and the bluebells that bloom on the wayside verge, to see whether they were true blues or the modern variant the 'Spanish bluebell', larger, lighter coloured and given to other colours.



The bad weather we experience tells its tale in mud.



Spanish bluebells

River Seven in full spate

Real bluebells


The little copse by the farm

New growth.  The yews by the church shed their pollen earlier in the year, this fir I am not sure what it is.

Spent a lot of time  yesterday listening to Cummings pulling wings off flies in an effort to bring down Johnson and Hancock.  Thank god I missed public life ;)

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Oops mistake, though there are traces of a deer park I should not have thought it was monks who hunt but the owners of the manors. And as you see, the owning of land by St.Mary's of York, an important centre in the time of the Scandinavian invasion in which the lands round here were given to York.

      "In 1204 King John licensed the Abbot of St. Mary's, York, to inclose and impark the abbey's wood called Gauthsoon in Normanby. It was still called Abbott Park in 1644 there is now only a small fox covert"

      Delete
  2. I rather enjoyed Cummings testimony - partial of course, but truth to power nonetheless. We need more truth speakers, and in his central theme he's spot on - what a total *** up..... If the government team were a board of directors they'd be long gone by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I enjoyed it as well. Struck by how Cummings was so downbeat and seemed to be speaking the truth. I love accountability, and talk of public enquiries makes me shiver in despair, knowing full well we will probably be waiting 30 years before truth will out. So well done Dominic on drawing the lines for us.......

      Delete
  3. We have Virginia bluebells where I live. They are lovely - blue mostly but some shading of pink and also, some white ones in the midst. They bloomed here several weeks ago and I always make the annual hike to visit them in the woods along the river that runs through my city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bluebells need their annual pilgrimage Ellen, their light in the shade of woods is mesmerising.

      Delete
  4. I just found the whole thing distasteful - is anyone telling th e truth? Shall we ever know the real story? The only person I have heard speak sensibly about it so far is Angela somebody (Deputy Leader of the Labour Party I believe) who spoke on Breakfast this morning - she was decisive, succinct, non-flappable and spoke real sense I thought - nobody else I have heard has seemed convincing enough to believe as far as I am concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I though Angela Rayner, took the old road of knocking the other party which always annoys me, yes I know it's politics! But what I do like is hauling these people up before their peers and grilling them for their actions, very Anglo-Saxon.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!