Friday, February 4, 2022

Falling on their swords

 

Munira Mirza, Dan Rosenfield, Martin Reynolds and Jack Doyle courtesy of The Guardian

 I questioned the word honour this morning and wondered if we will ever get back to decent behaviour. Falling on their swords, the first tranche to go above.  I suspect the female of the group is the only one who behaved in an honourable fashion.  Munira Mirza wrote a letter to Johnson, after his infamous attack on Keir Starmer offering her resignation.  Why does Johnson when his back is against the wall always resort to lies and innuendo? Silly question, it is like watching a wounded animal die by the thrusts of a thousand cuts but still the man won't resign.
We are expecting parcels the next few days, did not realise that Alexa is wired into Amazon and can tell you when they are to be delivered.  The television arrived eventually it had been delivered down the road. The next batch of stuff is large and will need me to be vigilant for their arrival.  
I have ordered two books as well, one on vintage knitting and the other by Professor Alice Robert - Ancestors.  This one on seven prehistoric burials of note.  I am obviously fascinated by burial rites and this one happened to float through;)
Alice Roberts is a great expert on bones, and has a high television profile and to be honest I am not quite sure I like her so it will be interesting to see how she writes.
------------------------

15 comments:

  1. Can't comment on the politics = it's all too frustrating to contemplate.

    I borrowed Ancestors from the library - it's a good fat book - but I didn't read it - it was too solid for the mood I was in then, I think it's probably fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really expect people to comment on the politics, it is like shorthand for me to remember the times. Think the book 'Ancestors' is on Audible as well Sue but occasionally want to read the book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ancestors is good. I like Alice Roberts, personally, and she certainly has a good agent as she turns up everywhere!

    I am not a political animal, but Boris is certainly like a wounded animal right now. Better to leave with a shred of dignity still intact I reckon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Alison Roberts does have a good personality for television, compared for instance against Mike Parker Pearson or even Gaffney but she seems to be on such a lot Jennie.

      Delete
  4. Ancestors is on my book list. I will be interested in your thoughts about it when you've read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordered my book from Boots, the cheapest on offer, so it should arrive next week sometime Anne.

      Delete
  5. Nothing about ordering and delivering is easy any more is it - or is it just me getting old and decrepit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No not you don't be silly Pat! Waiting for stuff is something I seem to do. The delivery people do often keep you informed by text where they are. And the post office of course keeps undelivered parcels at the local outlet.

      Delete
  6. Equally, Alice Roberts may not have made her mind up about you Thelma!

    As for Odious Johnson, even when he has been booted out or forced to resign, it will be someone else's fault. Like the boy who stole jam tarts from the pantry, he will still be stomping his feet and moaning, "It's not fair!" when Nanny grounds him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it is a good thing that Alice and I will never meet so we will never know. Brian Bilston written a clever poem 'On Leaving Downing Street'.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. When you ask Alexa if she is listening to you, she says go to the privacy policy of Amazon. Funnily enough when she is off I see faint lights ringing round her, a bit like your ghostly hand on the fridge;)

      Delete
    2. All this was predicted by Phillip K. Dick about 60 years ago. In one of these books a man has a fridge which denies him access if he hasn't paid his bills. He has to beg it for milk for his coffee.

      Delete
  8. I am (was) a skilled knitter, and I learned so, so much studying old textiles, how the garments were constructed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter is a great expert on 'vintage' clothes mostly from the last century (which isn't such a long way away). There is a great interest in the old labels of fashion designers Joanne, now the clothes are collected like antiques.

      Delete

Love having comments!