Thursday, February 17, 2022

What I have read this early morning

 Firstly the terrible crime committed against post office workers when they were prosecuted by the Post Office over the fact that the computer programme that recorded their takings went horribly wrong and accused them of taking large amounts of money out of the till.  It was the programme that had gone  wrong but many ended up in prison.  There was compensation, hurrah, hurrah, but unfortunately lawyer's fees gobbled a lot of it up.  The Post Office itself refused for a long time to actually acknowledge that it was the fault of the computer programme and not their employees.  Shades of The Ragged Trousered-Philanthropist here methinks.

Brexit, am I on the same page as Heseltine and Adonis? I know they keep filling my inbox with emails, but strange bedfellows.

Meta as in Facebook

Mark Zuckerberg said in his presentation that he had chosen the name Meta in part because it “reflects the full breadth of what we do and the future we want to help build”. But he also said he had chosen it as in Greek it means 'beyond'.

Words;  Zuckerberg found the word because it carried in its meaning the 'beyond'.  Funny isn't it his beyond is different to mine.  Mine is caught up in a spiritually different world, whereas his word is describing a future digital expansion.  Actually I like Google's company name better - Alphabet, it reminds me that we hunt and research on the internet, and every word is made up by the alphabet.

Wordle was difficult yesterday, I got it on the fourth, but given I only had 'A' 'K' when 'C' arrived on the third  - caulk just jumped in, not boasting of course.  The New York Times offers at 75 p a week all its games, still thinking about it.  Should I also get another paper online such as The Times I wonder to broaden my outlook.  But then I could be reading all day!!  Also The Guardian has its roots in Manchester of course.

And as there often Good News to be found - not all is lost at Portmeirion in North Wales.

7 comments:

  1. I got yesterday's Wordle in 6 ! Normally manage 4/5. I got " baulk" on 5 and just had to change the B! Lots of people on social media were complaining that it wasn't a word they knew...obviously not boat owners!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I should introduce myself.....I found you from a comment you made on Pat's blog ( weaver) some time ago and have been reading your posts since. I am a grandma and dog owner living in Herts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you Frances. Yes Wordle word even stumped my granddaughter, I think a lifetime of reading helps with word breakdown. A five letter word is fairly simple once you have worked out the vowels. I see everyone is getting cross and saying that the NYT is becoming more difficult. 'Cynic' was clever.

      Delete
  3. I could not manage without my Times - it is my daily life blood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Pat, it gives you an outlook on the world. It's editor was on the radio yesterday being questioned about how Rupert Murdoch influenced the paper....

      Delete
  4. The Zuck is more than a bit of a fraud. I wonder who whispered Meta in his ear?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Computer language, the alphabet one not the one used to create algorithms, is dull and empty, I often wonder if those in powers read anything but he got to Meta either by himself or one of his staff....

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!