Thursday, February 10, 2022

Memories


Moss long gone but a faithful companion always remembered.  Here drawn by Em Parkinson.

Moss: A memory came up once again on F/B.  My friend said I remember when Moss ate the  Zwartbles.  Not a word for Wordle, which I only obtained at the sixth go  this morning.    Zwartbles are a breed of sheep that come from New Zealand and we had collected a couple of fleeces from the car park of St. Edwards School in Bath, the sheep must have belonged to one of the teachers.  We took them home and laid them out on the patio and Moss of course became interested. They eventually ended up being thrown away as to messy and dirty too spin.

Moss was the one who took me out on walks, accompanied me all round the different archaeological sites I visited whilst on holiday.  He was a sensible intelligent sheep dog and once over his wild teenager years settled down into an insistent ball catcher. 

I had answered a paper advertisement (remember those?) and drove out into the middle of the countryside to a cottage. No one at  home, but a little pen of delightful puppies by the front door.  She eventually came home, I parted with £50 and my small beautiful merle Moss came home.

We traversed St. David's Head together and all around that area, he always chose the right path through bracken or gorse and I was never afraid with him at my side.  I remember him biting the bum of a man at St. Non's chapel because Moss thought he was protecting me.  Rather red faced I offered an apology to the man, but he said, it was alright, the dog was only protecting me.

The walk from Solva to Middle Mill.  I wonder if it was an old waterway or even a sunken lane.  It had a 'witchy' air to it



Moss sits at rest, there are two cromlechs here on Carn Lidl.  Only to be found if you see the lookout concrete platform from WW2.  It was an archeologist called Grimes who sited the temporary airfields used during the war both in this area and Bath.

Carreg Samson Cromlech was behind us here as we looked out onto this island.

Preseli mountains, just below us and something I missed was the horseshoe ring of stones called Bedd Arthur.  See Here

Saint David's Camp, looking though the fallen defence walls back to Carn Llidl

We wandered over the Preseli mountains without a care, unafraid of the horses let loose, the only thing that had really frightened Moss in Bath was an electric fence, put up to keep the cows with their calves out of the way of people walking on the public footpath at the racecourse.  He would not go any near an electric fence, leaving me and taking a quarter mile detour till we met up again.

And lastly, but not the only one, the beautiful chunky cromlech called Carreg Samson.  See how the capstone balances delicately on the tips of the uprights and just feel a little humility when we refer laughingly to the Flintstones of prehistoric times....





18 comments:

  1. We never forget our dogs do we - he looks a faithful pal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He grew into a very intelligent dog, and didn't chatter or moan as my family did ;)

      Delete
    2. This made me laugh.Dogs are just the best. Jan xx

      Delete
  2. The more I think about it the less I can believe that so many others I knew are no longer with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad I know Tasker but we are blessed with happy memories as well.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I remember once taking him for a walk, and he was always good at chastising other dogs if they became a nuisance but in a gentle manner.

      Delete
  4. They are a fabulous breed. My friend has a 14 month old one and he's just the right side of fun, but already really well trained. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently they can do 25 miles a day, their energy knows no stop Aril.

      Delete
  5. He is a beautiful dog, and surely as intelligent as he looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The merle dogs whether red or blue have marvellous coats Joanne.

      Delete
  6. Those deep-cut lanes that Moss is walking through are ancient.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Worn away by feet and time, but too narrow for a cart. There again it was Wales, perhaps just a footpath from village to village.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, now you've made me go all day-dreamy about ancient trails made by untold generations of feet.

    *sigh* So lovely. Moss was a good boy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Getting romantic about the past Debby? funny enough I wondered where everyone went to church in all these little hamlets and could only think of one called Whitchurch quite a way from Solva which is a fishing village.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking back over our years so much time is defined by the animals who shared our homes--dogs, horses [outside of course!] cats. Often messy and expensive, but wonderful companions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes that is very true Sharon. Once I kept Angora rabbits, and they were quite messy. Cats just lay around all day. And as for dogs they demanded exercise.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!