Wednesday, February 2, 2022

02/02.2022 Almost all the '2's

 It is quiet here, Radio 3 plays in the background.  Nothing much to write.  Lillie after having her vaccination jab on Monday, had a high temperature yesterday and was sent home from school.  Today she is perfectly alright.

Careering through Nature put the bright little aconite on their blog and I remembered how I had captured a single one at Sinnington church.  Looking it up and the church reminds me of the strong Saxon and Scandinavian influence round that area of York.  Whilst here in West Yorkshire I am still looking.  Checked on the prehistory yesterday, the only circle I came up with is a couple of miles from Hebden Bridge, Blackheath Circle or 'The Frying Pan'.  Situated on a golf course.

You can find the information on the Northern Antiquarian site here, and that is all I will say about that site;)

Interestingly they found amongst the burials 'incense cups' a quite common find with urn and barrow burials.  Whether they were used like the Catholic thurible is still not known.  Perhaps the burning of herbs for the dead to alleviate the smells.  Urn burials contain the charcoaled remains of the dead.

Here is a photo found in another blog of a Wiltshire incense/grape cup from Upton Lovell.


Obviously it was a common part of the service and left in the graves all over the country and is symbolic of something, I find it strange that a Western faith also used the same method of cleansing the air. But I have read of flowers being left on early Neanderthal graves.  Meadowsweet being one of the wild flowers used.  What they are not is oil lamps of course.
I love meadowsweet and  always looked out for it as we drove in the car.  It lined the damp ditches alongside the lanes, it's feathery lightness a reminder of summer, for which of course we are all waiting;)





6 comments:

  1. Ah, but 22/02/2022 will be palindromic (at least in that form)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My spatial outlook is very poor Tasker but I get what you mean.

      Delete
  2. I'd never heard of the term 'urn and barrow' before. That led me off on a brisk walk with Mr. Google. Fascinating. I imagine that before the time when disease transmission was poorly understood, the people simply equated 'bad smell' with sickness and death. The flowers' sweet smell was probably thought to protect one from those unhealthy odors. There is so much in this world I never knew, and I am always happy for bloggers who send me off on a tangent. Thanks to you today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to set off your thinking Debby. I suppose I am so immersed in history that I thought everyone knew ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can always rely on Si - Careering through Nature - to find his first aconite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I often see his photos with either cricket or flowers Pat.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!