Friday, July 14, 2023

14th July 2023

Just a video:  Do you know in Chile, that when great plans for roads, dams, etc are put forward.  Three things are taken into account.  Flora, Fauna and Fungi.

So here is that rather beautiful film of Fungi.  It is American based and takes you on a foray about 'magic mushrooms' around 40 minutes into the film.  So rather than a recreational drug, use it for depression or counteracting such things as cancer.  Now I do not know the figures as to how many people have been saved.  My one question is skeptical funnily enough.  How come the 1960s lot so into drugs, grew up to be the greedy entrepreneurs we see today? Was it the drugs they got high on in the olden days?

I have mushrooms most days on toast, they are in the middle of both, meaty but plant wise, similar to us I believe.  My daughter points out that they can also be cancerous, but she probably got that from Twitter. Though as Gary Snyder would say........

So here's to the mushroom family,

A far-flung friendly clan,
For food, for fun, for poison
They are a help to man.


Blog: Fungi in Blake's Wood

4 comments:

  1. The very mention of mushrooms makes my mouth water - especially ongood toast. Also calls to my mind the farmer collecting them and bringing them in for tea (we usually had a goodly cropin the fields each year).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always been scared of picking mushrooms, though they apparently do well in horse's fields. I buy a sourdough loaf, which just seems right for mushrooms Pat.

      Delete
  2. I watched the trailer and if I can find 40 minutes in my busy schedule I will watch the full video. Suggesting that mushrooms are somehow "between" meat and vegetables is an idea that I had not thought of but of course you are right. I will pass that simple expression on to our Ian. He is a huge fan of mushrooms - being vegan and all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find that American documentaries are a bit to enthusiastic over their ideas but the slow display of mushrooming mushrooms was beautiful. The big stuffed mushrooms are very meaty I tend to go for brown caps. Might even start growing some down in the basement!

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!