Monday, July 24, 2023

24th July 2023

Windowsill cleared, I approach with some trepidation the arrival of Mollie.  It will be a period of getting to know each other.  Just walked down to Lidl by the canal, ducks and Canadian geese out, one day I will remember to buy a frozen bag of peas to throw to them, we are always, as instructed, not to throw bread.  

I shall cook fish goujons tonight, messy but everyone likes them. I have come to a period in my life when I have become nervous about cooking for goodness sake.  This is a person that has catered over the years for hundreds of students and family.  Weird what happens later on in life.

I am whittling.  But Pat's blog on ginnels reminded me of Whitby and all the yards that enclosed a small place and where the small cottages huddled together.

My cottage in its small yard was down a passage way off Flowergate, all you had to do was walk down the street and there were plenty of shops.  Living so close with neighbours did cause some conflict but being polite did not come amiss.  Mary next door, only wanting work done on the cottage after 10-0 -clock, as obviously she didn't get up till then. Fraser who lived in the basement of the house above, with his grumpiness and stacks of stuff left outside.

So a short video on The Yards of Whitby.




10 comments:

  1. How lovely to have a snug cottage AND a garden tucked away like that. What a wonderful sense of community too. I am sure that Mollie will soon settle in - old cats just want affection, warmth and grub!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't forget holiday cottages, which many of them are. My cottage was sold in a day, not sure why I had to pay the estate agents ;) I had about 6ft of the yard which Mary made sure I kept inside!

      Delete
  2. Nice video of Whitby, Thelma! From above it looks like the houses are really crowded in but when they explore the yards, it is nice to see the lovely oases people have created. Where do they keep their cars? I am so spoiled here in my "suburb" with a garage attached and green grass growing around my house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To see how Whitby looked in the 19th C you have to look at Francis Meadow Sutcliffe and witness the poverty and grime of Whitby.. As for parking....there were small car parks around but there was a big Co-op in town and a bus to Sainsbury on the outskirts Ellen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have also found cooking for more than hubby and I a bit of a stretch. Older and slower and being more forgetful all leads to stress for cooking for family and friends. I guess this is normal as I quite sewng decades ago and find it stressful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also think different pots and pans do not help Tabor. I think for me the most stressful, is knowing when anyone will be arriving. What with train and bus strikes it is difficult.

      Delete
  5. T.hat was a super video of the yards - what gardens lie behind those cottages and shops - secret to all except those who live there. Thank you so much for posting it Thelma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it Pat, Gardens are rare, the plots from medieval times were built on again and again, so gardens disappeared. The yard ones left are very few.

      Delete
  6. Whitby is of course a very special place. There is nowhere in the world quite like it. I have walked by the entrances to those yards many times but never ventured in so the video was fascinating to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Whitby is unique, and a whole network of passageways to travel up the hills. Then there is the mob of tourists crowding the quayside, and occasionally waiting when the bridge goes up for a ship to sail through. It has an exciting feel to it and the smell of course of fish and chips.

      Delete

Love having comments!