Wednesday, July 19, 2023

19th July 2023

Calm, peace and tranquility the house empties itself of the other two occupants.  Not that I don't welcome their presence but first thing in the morning must be quiet.

There I am listening to 'Lost words' music Blessings, the video will be below, when Lillie bursts in; she has washed all her clothes the night before and now doesn't have anything to wear to the primary school in which she helps.  Can she use my hair dryer? yes, well it is hopeless saying why couldn't you actually have kept up with your washing and so there would be enough clothes for camping? But it would be a waste of breath.  I am having a Zoom meeting tonight to be vetted by a RSPCA person for Mollie the cat, should pass that one, we have calculated the ages of both of us and Mollie and I are on equal footing.

I had been going through Paul's photos, and had come across The Bjinga With Tissues. It must have been one of the last paintings he restored and wandering through the photos I had taken was a pleasant occupation.

I had been watching a documentary about a father and son and their restoration of an Edo period horse, they were  National Treasure craft people.  Something we do not acknowledge in this country, but skill and dedication to craft, which often runs down through a family, is acknowledged in Japan.

Perhaps I will do it at a later stage, and just leave it with one photo of the end.....  But the ability to renew and restore old work is very much part of how Japanese people view their artifacts.

It is funny to see Kintsugi gold repair become fashionable in our world, in the video I watched a Kintsugi repair was broken and the pottery restored to an invisible repair.  In restoring hanging scrolls, as Paul did, fine tissues were removed by the use of water and then new ones reinstated with water. Paints were mixed to match the exact colours.  Everything was the result of hand craft work.  Whether the fine silks needed to frame the hanging or the boxes to store them.

I feel I need to go back to visit the past now and then a lot of it was quite interesting, and already I remember the boxes of samples, both mineral and natural that Paul collected, somewhere hiding on my blog.


It's finished!!




News: New York Times- Heat Wave Affects Three Continents

6 comments:

  1. My first husband, M, was an artist in oils, water colours, pastel and charcoal. My walls are 'plastered' with his work. And as I look at it I am constantly reminded of how talented some people are - similarly when i look at the Repair Shop. I think one of most important attributes in anything artistic is immense patience. And the ability to really look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Pat, though I don't watch Repair Shop anymore but the skills they have are excellent.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I agree with Pat, this post reminded me of the wonderful talents of so many people and how they often come together to create such beauty. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been thinking about this Ellen and you sent me off on another blog.

      Delete
  3. Pat is right. No matter what the craft, patience is as necessary as skill. Your Paul sounds like a man of many talents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The talent was learnt in apprenticeship Debby, something slightly despised by the young of today but working within a Japanese studio Paul learnt his craft.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!