Saturday, July 22, 2023

22nd July 2023

 And now to politics:  Which to be honest reflects what I would describe as when not sure just take a punt on voting with a pin. Three seats, each one going to a different party, neither here nor there.  Both Labour and Conservatives are still at arms length from outright victories.

No one loves Keir Starmer, I know I don't, can't settle anywhere and changes his promises as often as his shirt.  His new member of the party, is a bright, young, fresh faced youngster who will repeat the party manifesto in total obedience.  I am happy that Keir Mather is a young man, at last the grey faced middle aged men are being given a run for their money by the young - and it is about time.

The local issue of the Ulez emission zone affected the South Ruislip and Uxbridge vote, as we should know it would.  Decisions which should have been taken 30 years ago, now sit uncomfortably in a society where economic downfalls now loom large and who is going to give up their cars? even if they are diesel spitting dirt bombs...

--------------------------

My DNA results came through this morning, as was expected mostly English (West Midlands), this we probably knew already as my mother's maiden surname was Colclough (makers of china), then next Northern and Western European.  Followed by Celtic and a touch of Baltic ;)

To be resumed maybe.

Paul Knight's blog:  Witness  For an inventory of all the wild flowers you will find at this time in our area.  He talks of the popping seed of the balsam flower, it explodes so that the seed is carried far and wide.  I tried to remember another seed like that, then remembered the Acanthus plant, so tall and stately, its stone leaves decorating so many Roman columns but it also distributes its seed the same way. I remember in the garden being so surprised coming on this for the first time. There is also 'Stargoose and Hanglands photos' to see for a Cambridgeshire view.

Acanthus





13 comments:

  1. I think it's safe to say that none of the major parties has any regard for the views of the actual voters - they are a trivial inconvenience to be lied to at election time and thereafter ignored. And whichever label the next PM wears we will still get the same policies driven by the men in suits behind the scenes (and yes, it is still largely men).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in Bath we (not all, but enough) have to vote Lib Dem to keep the Tories out. Labour doesn't stand a chance after Corbyn. To me they are the best of a shockingly bad bunch. Kier Starmer is hopeless. I would like to see a Lib Dem/Labour coalition. 'But nothing would get done!' people say. That's the whole point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I recall, Belgium managed happily with no government for many months a few years ago as none of the parties would agree on coalition terms. And I'm sure that I've seen somewhere that Texas legislature only operates part-time to limit the damage that they can do.

      Delete
    2. Of course you are right there Will, people manage to govern themselves pretty well without politicians, whose only point in life is to fight for their party and gripe at the other side.

      Delete
    3. Governing yourself efficiently is only possible with a good civil service. This government have done their best to get rid of any civil servant who disagrees with them.

      Delete
  3. I used to have the cynical view that it made no difference who is PM. However Ms Truss has proved beyond doubt that a lot of damage can be done in a very short time by a determined holder of the office. (Thanks for the mention of my recent post.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well your walks in nature produce some very fine photos. And the countryside round your neck of the woods is so different to the moors here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see John's photos regularly as he does do such a fabulous job. Thanks for sharing Paul Knight's blog! What amazing views of the countryside!
    Our politics in the US are messed up enough, I just can't keep track of what is going on with you guys! ;) Hope it works out the way you think best, Thelma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the answer is Ellen we should get rid of politics.... Living at the bottom of the narrow valley as I do, such sights as Paul Knights sees are impossible for me, so his blog is very welcome, as is Johns.

      Delete
  6. That Acanthus flower is exquisite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew them from seed, they are a very statuesque plant Pat.

      Delete
  7. I heard Sharon Graham (General Secretary of Unite) on R4 a while back and think she would make an excellent Labour leader. Sound views and no nonsense. Check her out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will check her out Ruta, I have probably heard her. There are plenty of good women in the labour party, it would probably do some good as to have a female as a leader. But then like a lot of people I wash my hands off the whole political game.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!