Tuesday, December 26, 2023

A Carol for Boxing Day

 Christmas Day:  Went beautifully.  My daughter has spent most of Christmas Eve day wrapping presents, so that on the day we had a gold carrier bag each of about six presents to unwrap, plus everyone elses as well.

The news is rattling behind me, unimportant and important, but we are not allowed to be serious, or perhaps, be more honest on just exactly how we feel on the state of the world on our blogs.  Well perhaps I will state one thing and that is I believe there should be a ceasefire between Israel and Palestine, the sadness of watching an area being pummelled into the ground is heartbreaking.  Perhaps one other war should be spoken about, Putin throwing all those Russian young lives into death must be breaking a great many parent's hearts,  Ukraine is another victim of war, when will we learn? It is also happening in Sudan, the killing of one people by another.  And there I will finish.  Though I am pleased that there was many in the religious world that spoke out over the Christmas period against what is happening in the world.  To return to brighter things. 

350 tractors went tooting and showing off their coloured lights on Xmas Eve through Tod, and all I could wonder is where the hell the farmers who owned all these tractors managed to farm in these steep sided valleys.  We wined and dined at lunchtime.  And luckily the Aga played ball up till then but then decided to turn itself off so it means we need another visit from the Aga man.  Three of the young ones sat on the floor for a long time trying to get the flame to ignite but no go.

I am grateful for my family, it was marvellous to watch their interaction, I bought for each of them a candleholder, with candle of course.  Maybe to meditate in the future and think of each other.  Funnily enough I remembered that their grandfather, my first husband had a birthday on the 25th December.  Also it was the first time we had met, when my stepmother had invited friends over for a Xmas drink and Nick had been staying with them.  It was two weeks later when Nick wrote to my parents if he could take me out.  A formality which probably gave the children a giggle.

Today is Saint Stephens day, he was the first martyr for Christianity apparently so  the carol Good King Wenceslas is right for this day.



10 comments:

  1. I am glad that the moody Aga played ball sufficiently to allow the Christmas lunch to be prepared. How sweet that your first husband asked for permission to take you out! Did he also seek permission before kissing you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, thinking back it was about going to a party in Oxford from Essex. Think Nick was in his last year there. It is an expensive business with the Aga, it means another part to be put in, the last one only lasted a couple of months.

      Delete
  2. Fighting now in Nigeria as well - heard a local explaining that Climate Change has meant that pasture land and grazing material has almost dried up in the North (was Northern Nigeria) whereas at present the grass is greener in the South, so men are driving their cattle further South. When will it all end? I can no longer bear to watch Gaza - the lack of respect and care for humanity has gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many small countries will be hit by Climate Change before us Pat it is frightening. I try to read at least once a day the updates about Gaza, depressing though it is. Ukraine seems less well covered though.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed your Christmas festivities, Thelma. We had a lovely time here, too, although I am glad it is done! One of my favorite gifts is a calendar from my daughter with each month filled with photos of my family from past to present, There are so many cute moments captured and I will enjoy it all year.
    I don't know much about Boxing Day but I hope yours was pleasant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my presents was a calendar with Japanese prints on, rather beautiful Ellen. But the world of printing is so clever now to be able to print family photos in a calendar. Boxing Day is one of those weird holidays, when you pay the servants off;)

      Delete
  4. Retaliatory US attacks in Iraq. The world is caught up is visceral emotion charged reactions. We are being actively discouraged from rational consideration. And God forbid that we utter those things out loud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was reading this morning how many bombs, provided by America and the rest of us, was out there to continue war faring. Hope you had a good Christmas Debby.

      Delete
  5. You had a lovely family Christmas. I love the visual of three younger ones sitting on the floor and attempting to reignite the Aga. Of course they knew they could succeed, and its to the Aga's discredit it did not cooperate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Joanne we did. The family will slowly be going back to jobs and of course the colder days of January and February but at least it will get lighter.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!