Friday, December 1, 2023

Humour

 I am a sucker for a funny cartoon, or the memes that appear every where. Yesterday a cartoon with a man sitting at his desk with a zoom meeting going on his computer, and the cat on its back taped to the floor to stop hthe cat doing the 'computer walk'.  Childish but then isn't most humour?  We have entered a constricted age of humour, somehow their are 'police wordsters' around pulling at every thing we say.  Perhaps it is just the young putting their elders in place, perhaps it was wrong to laugh at some things, I definitely did not laugh at some of the comedians around.

But now we have to be on the ball, and watch what we say, or there is likely someone will find, one small error in what you think of as funny.    Readjust the brain! Can I though at this late stage?  I loved the political satire on 'Have I Got News for You', it goes back to the 1960s "That Was the Week that Was" but does it actually get us anywhere?

I had an email yesterday from a friend in America with a link to a funny article, here it is if you want it - 19 Old Cold Words to get you Through Winter.  Thank you Bucky.

Anyways, on this first day of winter according to the present calendar of dates (the church messed around with it a couple of times).  Let us welcome the snow, we are apparently going to be engulfed in a storm of snow over the weekend.  It did snow yesterday, rather sparingly, and already in the East on the coast, the roads round Whitby and Scarborough are getting snow bound by Fylingsdale.  But closer to home, Sheffield seems to be the coldest town with minus degrees through the day.  We have a slight smattering of snow on the ground.  I am not going out.


Guess which ex-prime minister this was?

12 comments:

  1. I know loads of jokes I can no longer repeat. I can't remember the ones I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only know one joke and it takes people a long time to work out the last line and then laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is important not to laugh at slurs or to laugh at 'at' rather than 'with' - bu I do think we are losing the ability to recognise irony - and frankly there are those who are 'whiskers alert' for any hint of offence that they can capitalise on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irony has always been our best form of satire I suppose. Something which is difficult to use in the written word, unless, in some way it is underlined. My youngest granddaughter is 'whisker' alert but she will learn ;)

      Delete
  4. Love the Larry the Cat meme! Thanks ever so much for the laugh this afternoon. Have a warm, cozy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He sort of sanitises 10, Downing Street into a house of fools.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Since having acquired a very noisy old cat Joanne, I tend to focus on them.

      Delete
  6. Good meme Thelma, it's humour that keeps us going...Jan Bx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes laughing at foolish things is a human condition Jan!

      Delete
  7. I like the silly Viz comic jokes, but maybe that's because I never really grew up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Growing up is very difficult to do....

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!