Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Roll on Christmas

 Did I ever think as I grew older that the State of Britain would become so miserable?  Each and every day there is news that food banks can't keep up with demand.  Tents on the high streets.  Luckily the government proposal for the councils to clear them fell on deaf ears, and that the shop keeper throwing water over a homeless man was sufficiently humiliated.

So roll out the charity once more, we are heading back to Victorian England.  With people forced from rented homes by Article 21, which has still not been rescinded by the government - why not?  People who cannot afford the higher mortgage rates are suddenly finding themselves homeless - thank god we have got Travel Lodges sited round the country.  That was sarcasm of course......

O dear I forgot, Rwanda and the boat people, which is really doing the government's heads in and their main topic of conversation. 

Many people will of course have a marvellous Christmas, they have managed to slip by the destitution that may face the next generations.

Funnily enough I don't think there is a conspiracy theory out there, something, like the great swell of a wave, the rich are closing ranks, and such people as Baroness Michelle Mone having made their money from scamming the latest pandemic, are now arguing their innocence, having spirited their winnings to off shore islands.

Rant over because it will do no good ;)

Simon Jenkin's article

14 comments:

  1. I totally empathise with your rant. Jan Bx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. We won't make any difference though.

      Delete
  2. No doubt about it the rich get richer and the poor get poorer Thelma. I sincerely hope the general public think carefully about where to put their cross at the next General Election but sadly I am not at all confident. I am afraid I am a coward - I try never to watch the News these days unless there is something I really want to know - and then I am not sure I can believe it. Camera shots are selective. And sadly the haves (and I include myself here) might think about problems like homelessness but think we can't do much about it. The odd fiver here or there salves our conscience. I feel so sad about how not just here but everywhere things have gone disastrously wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I was a tad cleverer Pat, I think I would have put it down to a systemic change With capitalism being at the base and running riot for the moment. Perhaps it has always been like this but we didn't get to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My neighbour, who is definitely one of the "have-nots" of this world, has just put a card through my door. Earlier in the week I'd seen him helping someone home with their shopping and putting all the dustbins back after they'd been emptied. During the summer he cuts the grass for the whole street. I'd rather have him for a friend than Baroness Mone and her cronies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something I forgot to mention John was Simon Jenkin's article. When the pandemic was underway, Wales hardly had any face masks, so a group got together and with 3D printers printed hundreds which they then distributed round the health care places.
      Your kind neighbour is of course one of the many kind people that do exist here and everywhere in the world. I simply can't understand all these other people that are stashing money away with such greed.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. That's an idea Tom, cheaper than building all the new homes, both social and private we need!

      Delete
  6. Vote for restrictions on car use, foreign holidays, travel, how much work you can do, how much wealth you can have, how much power you can use, restrictions on what you can consume ... or go on as we are and see it happen by default, except for Baroness Bra.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see where you are coming from Tasker - a plague on both your houses.. It boils down to the fact that there are too many of us. demanding the finer things of life and only a certain number will win through? A fairer distribution of wealth might make things easier though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think some of this has always been. It is just that now with the internet we hear about it all of the time and often the media focuses on the awful and doesn't report on the kind and generous. Also, misinformation is constantly spread as truth - it is a big problem here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact is that social benefits are not adequate to fill the gap of rising food and accommodation prices Ellen. It is true that there are some people who are always poor, but, should they be?

      Delete
  9. Here, the fashion is to blame the struggling. Surely, surely their own poor choices have led them to where they are. But I cannot help but think that life does not have to be so hard for so many.

    ReplyDelete
  10. From what I have seen in videos Debby it is much worse in America. But there again there are more people.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!