Saturday, December 16, 2023

a smattering of would be Xmas cards

Cards have been arriving, so I must look for those non-existent addresses for cards, which I never write down in the address book, so if family is reading this a pretty address book would be really appreciated.  I have a birthday on the 9th January so I tend to fall slightly flat on that date.
It is good to hear that Jo's four cats in their barn are still happily ensconced even though D won't let them come into the house and that they have finally settled on a dog after two and half years of looking.  
I do miss the village and my friends there, but once Paul had gone and I could not live in  an empty house, I had to move and now live quite happily with my family.

So looking for a suitable photo through the masses of albums I have managed to accumulate, except for the early ones.  These reside on an old large external hard drive and I am scared of  putting it on this computer.  Sadness is mixed with quiet happiness and a realisation of a full and happy life.


A Japanese bodhisattva for compassion


Roses - a complete form

chrysanthemums and a good Harvest festival



Lucy for indulgent laziness

The pagan Rudston monolith struts its defiance against the church

Avebury


4 comments:

  1. How ironic. The words that I could not make heads or tails of suddenly came clear in your post.

    What sorrow there is,
    That is better than joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot get it out of my mind. Sorrow is grief, and grief is the loss of something/someone that you hold dear. Joy on the other hand is euphoria, something based in a transient event, a fleeting thing. The depth of sorrow is a measure of importance. My mind whirs all over the place, and I've gone back to read the passage again.

      Delete
  2. That is rather deep Debby, not sure how to respond. As you point out grief and joy lie on opposite sides of the spectrum but they can overlap. Life and death are also opposites but they can be approached in a philosophical manner without any great drama. So in choosing some photos they are more about memory I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorrow is like the shadow of happiness. If you had not had such happiness and contentment in you life, you would not know sorrow, hence the words: 'what sorrow there is , that is better than joy.' From the vantage point of a life lived, those words are true. Happiness and contentment are lasting. Joy is fleeting.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!