Friday, May 31, 2024

First morning thoughts

 


I love the quiet world of Snoopy, and though the above hardly tells the truth of a man charged on 34 counts of wrongdoing, let us rejoice on the rope of justice pulled lightly under his feet.  Whatever happens, those were 12 brave jury people.

As for the other news, can it be really true that Starmer and by implication the Labour Party are throwing away a good lead in the coming election by throwing out the so-called 'lefties'  and having a skirmish on the subject.  Starmer as always keeps his actions close to his chest but what a dirty business politics is.

------------------------------------------

We are a household of four females, five if you count Mollie, who is complaining at the moment about the fact that the bed is not made to her liking, she likes the duvet turned over twice to make a thick bed for her old bones.....

Yesterday another cookery book dropped through the letterbox, I am now the person who experiments with different recipes.  We have taken to our hearts the one roasting tin full of vegetables method of cooking, carbohydrates included also of course. I did have a bit of a moan about yesterday's recipe which was salmon on peas, asparagus and broccoli (it should have been tender stem, but the season has passed us by).  Two packets of ready made rice, everyone had a different way of approaching it.  Let us say that the 5 minutes preparation of the food was way out, more like a good hour but hey-ho.

It made me think of the cook books I have used over time.  Elizabeth David with her exotic French cooking, Jane Grigson, approaching English vegetable with such enthusiasm and then Rose Elliot and Sarah Brown for vegetarian recipes.  We have come a long way since, now veganism stands by the side of vegetarianism.

I have a book called 'Food in England' by Dorothy Hartley, a historian of her time, collecting together all those fascinating tales of our country in different times.  The food reflected the nature of our countryside, exotics were just exotic, the pick and mix of all the cultures of the world was but a dream on the future horizon.

The music I would pick today would be John Dowland - Lachrimae or seven tears ;)




The jurors marched past Donald Trump without looking at him, soldiers for justice.

14 comments:

  1. I had a great English cook book dating from between the wars. The author tried to eat every animal he could and write up his thoughts on it. He did not like badger but mentioned a pub near Bath which served badger in a bun, once a year on a certain date - reasons unknown. It still did up until quite recently. He said, "I have never eaten lion but I am told it tastes..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always have a tale to tell Tom but badger burgers is a big stretch. Thank goodness we are all turning to plants for our food. Much easier to peel a carrot then skin a badger.

      Delete
  2. I'd better look at The Guardian to see what Starmer is up to.
    Roasted vegetables sound terrific. Can you ever have too many? I don't eat broccoli stems, so not tender would not worry me.
    Not that I ever cooked much, but I was interested in the way food is cooked, and I have some knowledge that I'll never put into practice. I liked tv cooking programmes such as Delia Smith, Kenneth Hom, Madhur Jaffrey, The Two Fat Ladies (who can forget Jennifer's bright red fingernails mixing food) and of course the marvellous gentleman, Rick Stein.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes they were all good cooks. Also Keith Floyd and Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall who ate a friend's placenta after the delivery of her baby. Now that beats badger burgers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the days when I cooked I often turned to roasted veg - as you say quite a long time preparing but I would often add some really good sausages to the mix of root veg and Mediterranean ones. They looked good and smelled good when they came out of the oven and were always devoured in entirety so that only one large earthenware dish left to wash up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite roast vegetable has always been parsnips Pat, they sweeten over the winter months. I am still rather wary of roasting cauliflowers, again the 'in' vegetable to roast but I love courgettes, peppers, and aubergines for roasting.
      I see we are all in love with the one dish cooking, not the three saucepans of old.

      Delete
  5. I like to do a pot roast in a large, enamelled, iron casserole. The small joint of meat sits on a layer of root vegetables, onion and celery, herbs, and boiling water, which make a tasty stew for several meals. I can bake a Bara brith and some jacket potatoes while the oven is on, and have a baked pudding and some small cakes ready to bake in their turn.
    I serve a little of the tender, roast meat with a medley of steamed vegetables and gravy, then eke out the remaining meat over the next few days.
    I have the same recipe books, and a collection of WW2 recipe books. I cook the same economical meals my mother made in post war rationing and austerity. I like Marguerite Patten’s books and the Ministry of Food publications.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Marguerite Patten is a name from the past. Was she not the cook for when we came out of austerity after the war? The Ministry of Food was definitely telling people what to do with the scarce food around. Today's people would be shocked at the skimpy rations people had to feed their families. The advice is now very much like your casserole, lots of vegetables and a little meat to go with them.

      Delete
  6. We had roasted veggies with Italian sausage this week and it is always delicious. I've been making more meatless meals but we still have meat several times a week. Old habits and all...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roasted vegetables have become quite the 'in' thing Ellen, with maybe chorizo sausage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delia Smith was always my starting point - her three part cookery course in association with the BBC many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cooking and football were her two loves Will. Did she not write a book about frugal cooking as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely music. Some instruments seem better than others at conveying deep feelings of sorrow and loss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is true Neil. Music has that way of finding the emotional resonance in us.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!