Sunday, June 23, 2024

23rd June 2024



Well the meeting was not as I expected.  I expected there more to be had on Pantheism but it revolved round Nick Drake and Syd Barrett of Pink Floyd fame.  Interestingly about the books they had read in their childhoods.  Our speaker anchored sentences in the lyrics to such books as 'Wind in the Willows - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn'. He mentioned Sabine Baring-Gould also, 19th century hymn writer, antiquarian and many other skills.  Hilaire Belloc, and the Golden Goose poems (not too sure of that title) also the Aesop Fables.

The two boys had similar backgrounds, middle class, artistic, coming of age in the 60s and of course the whole movement that flowed through these times, they also took acid or LSD, which seems to have effected them in a similar way.  Not being able to focus on the world around them, looking through their friends with a dead eyed stare and not recognising them.  Of course they both ended up depressed, and Drake of course dying young through an overdose.

Drake's music was not popular, he only ever sold a few thousand of his albums through his lifetime.  No, his fame came later as a romantic figure who had died young and a cult was established.

One worrying moment in the talk when the speaker suddenly asked if he could stop for a moment because of a pain in his chest.  He mentioned symptoms similar to angina.  But tablets were found and he continued a few minutes later.  

Do you remember all those long haired young men of the 60s? Budding Oscar Wilde or Byrons, romantically inclined we all fell in love with.  Now? balding into old age, it is a bit of a shock ;)  Our speaker had  what for him was a meeting with Drake, though he is still unsure if it was Drake.  But hitchhiking home to Sandy a car stopped.  He got in and turned and recognised the profile, through all the journey Drake did not speak, so our speaker was left with a question in his mind which seems to haunt him until this day.

Two videos of Nick Drake, the first Mayfair, and to use a favourite word of mine mellifluous................



Drake was too folksy amongst the lively music at the time, I have yet to experience Syd Barrett, for during the 70s I was widowed and trying to survive and had little time for pop music!

The only thing I found against the talk was that he did not really mention Pantheism as a subject matter.


9 comments:

  1. While Drake isn't someone I've heard of, I think he would have a good poster candidate for teenage Andrew's bedroom wall. I don't think my parents took much notice of so many male pop stars on my walls, with a couple of token female pop stars. I never had to 'come out'. It was always just there. I should try to make a list of the posters on the wall. It isn't nice to say, but I like celebrities who died young and beautiful. Seeing the survivors in their old age is sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made me smile Andrew "but I like celebrities who died young and beautiful", not sure it was the same felt by them, they may have wanted longer lives. It would be interesting to make that list, do it one day.

      Delete
  2. 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn' is my favourite chapter and River Man is my favourite song. Everyone always wonder what he would be doing now if he had not died, but they might have been disappointed. Never meet your heroes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His sister, Gabrielle Drake was beautiful to, and still keeps her looks, she has aged well.
      it is funny how the words of childhood filtered into his songs.

      Delete
    2. Pink Floyd's Piper At The Gates Of Dawn was one of the first lps that I bought as a teenager.

      Delete
  3. What a coincidence - I saw a poster this week - for someone singing Nick Drake's songs . . .

    Ah, Sabine Baring-Gould - I have half a dozen of his books. He lived on Dartmoor and collected all sorts of local knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a very energetic vicar I think, his life dedicated to writing and exploring. There is something to be said for an era without television Jennie.

      Delete
  4. Long-haired dreamy youth, now bald old man. So that's what my wife saw in me, even though she, not I, is the distant relative of ND.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Illustrious Ancestors Tasker! Haven't you got one on your side of the family? Still from the Iron Age on, blood relatives had a lean time when it came to inheritance and who was boss ;)

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!