Sunday, March 16, 2014

Where is this house? - Old photos

It is so pretty, romanticised to within an inch, nothing displeases.  The quiet moat with water lilies, the turreted tower, and the house with varied detail.  To my eye it looks like a folly to be seen as a 'view'.
Now did I see it from Sissinghurst, or from Knole?  Reminding me of Tennyson's poem - Mariana in the Moated Grange.....

Waking she heard the night-fowl crow:
 The cock sung out an hour ere light:
 From the dark fen the oxen's low
 Came to her: without hope of change,
 In sleep she seem'd to walk forlorn,
 Till cold winds woke the gray-eyed morn
 About the lonely moated grange.
   She only said, "The day is dreary,
   He cometh not," she said;
   She said, "I am aweary, aweary,
   I would that I were dead!"






No comments:

Post a Comment

Love having comments!