Monday, November 3, 2014

Bonfire Night

24 packets came in these tins.



In the 'olden' days, this is how I start a story about my childhood for the grandchildren....Well in the olden days on bonfire night, we would bake potatoes in the crisp tin box out on the bonfire in the garden, I can even see the spot, the vegetable plot.  Catherine wheels would be nailed to the fruit trees, 'volcanoes' would erupt at our feet, sparklers clasped in our gloved hands, and I think the rockets were anchored in the pop bottles.  So what are those bomb like sounds I have heard every night for the past few nights, as rockets flare across the sky - solitary pleasures of letting off the biggest most expensive firework....  It has somehow lost its way bonfire night, I am sure it is better in the smaller communities, when a great bonfire is built on the green, Bath always had an organised spectacular display. I suspect a lot of dogs will be happier when the fuss has died down and people stop letting off fireworks at every opportunity rather than one night which is the 5th!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love having comments!