Sunday, July 15, 2018

Bantams

We set off yesterday, a 30 mile drive, in fact the way we went to Eskdalemuir, to Scotch Corner.  Scotch Corner has such a ring but when you get there there is nothing to see!  We went deep into the countryside to Lords Farm, and ate our sandwiches here, at the end of a long farm track, and my owner of the bantams sailed past.  But we eventually found her, they came back and produced two beautiful blue Pekins, actually they are quite grey but very sweet.  Obviously used to people talking to them, they 'pip' gently back.


How did they settle? well our solitary hen made her upset very noisily all afternoon, stomping around and complaining.  I did try opening the hatches of the coop for a meeting to take place, but it was all somewhat fraught, so the hen, Phoebe had the coop and the two little ones slept outside, though I did cover their run with a quilt -  yes I know....
So it will probably be a few days before they will all settle down, but they are sweet little creatures...

Thirsk on a Saturday afternoon market day



Not named yet but settling in


7 comments:

  1. Oh, it makes me so nostalgic Thelma. I am sure the hen will take
    to them in a couple of days. Hens (and bantams) have very small brains - she will soon have forgotten that they are newcomers. Aren't we lucky to live in such beautiful countryside? I went over to Acorn Bank in Cumbria with my son and his wife yesterday. Driving through the upper dales was magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the countyside is very beautiful though a tad yellow at the moment for lack of rain. We have had none. It is probably easier to be without hens rather than owning them I think....

      Delete
  2. Another adventure to keep you busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I would probably be totally bored if I didn't fill my life with trivia ;)

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed the photos of Thirsk--the connection with the beloved James Herriot books.
    I've never kept hens but do think the bantams are quite engaging. Life without animals might be easier, but not nearly as interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes of course it is 'James Herriot' town, though I watched the series on tv never read the books, it was a very gritty Yorkshire landscape portrayed. They are learning to have freedom at the moment by roaming the garden, but always run back to one of us for protection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous bantams, our new ones are being picked on a bit by the others, they are sorting out the pecking order.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!