Sunday, July 8, 2018

Sunday 8th July

The time of the lillies




Church's coke house, though originally according to listed building info, this was a watch house.  Which means the 'lock-up' in olden times when drunken drovers rolled out of the small ale houses that lined the village street.
Yesterday the world stopped for a short time while England won the match against the Swedish team, can I say that I always feel sorry for the losing side (not the least bit competitive).  But unfortunately the match coincided with the church's annual event of strawberry teas! So not many people turned up.  We had moved the pews in the morning to form horseshoe squares, and the books came in, the raffle prizes and various things to sell.
Also, no old boiler to make the tea but a state of the art water dispenser which hands out ice water or boiling water at the switch of a button.  I must admit I love the people who make it happen, there was Graham with his grandson Harvey, who wanted to watch the match, I had tried my computer in the church that morning for him but it only picked up the house on the other side.  But  his mother's phone relayed the information as he sat outside, and he would come running into the church when goals were made, two as we know.
Christina on the cake stall, yes I bought a chocolate one for Lillie now in the freezer, I even bought three books for £2, 'A Year in Provence' does anyone remember the scorn with which it was received? Wiki hint...

"In 1993, the BBC produced a television miniseries based on the book, starring Lindsay Duncan and John Thaw, with appearances from Alfred Molina and James Fleet amongst others. Unlike the book, the miniseries was not well received by critics; A Year in Provence was later placed at number ten on a Radio Times list of the worst television programmes ever made with the writer, John Naughton, describing it as a "smugathon ... which achieved the near impossible – creating a John Thaw vehicle nobody liked".

Time travels on.  Read an article yesterday that said the world is in its hottest period since goodness knows when, and on the news this morning they are already beginning the rescue in Thailand of the 12 boys and their coach, what a worrying time, it will take 11 hours to get each child out.


CHINESE PROVERB.
Because they have song,
not because they have answers,
is why the birds sing.


7 comments:

  1. Yes Thelma, I think the whole world is waiting on the result in Thailand.
    As to the World Cup - football is me don't mix - it is just kicking a ball about. But I musy say, looking at the young team yesterday and trying to put their huge salaries to the back of my mind, I did admire their perseverance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is all great excitement then all gone in a puff of smoke, and we keep hearing that boring song all the time 'Its coming home'. Somehow for those of us not sporty, summer is a long time ;)

      Delete
  2. John Thaw in that part was a huge mistake, totally miscast. The book was popular, the BBC series ruined what could have been delightful Sunday night viewing. The book sold millions. Peter Mayle hated John Thaw in the part because it was just so not how Peter Mayle was and Thaw, miserable alcoholic, did not portray the enjoyment Mayle experienced of life in Provence. I remember I had already read the book when the series came on tv, we were all looking forward to it. I am wondering if that was when my detest for the BBC took roots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh your memory serves you well Rachel, I only remember reading the books which I enjoyed. I can't condemn BBC for making mistakes, there has been good stuff as well. Anyway I shall read the book again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is just one of the significant casting mistakes the BBC has ever made and they will never be allowed to forget it. They used to make wonderful programmes, but less so now. I liked the old days of the Wednesday Play, Play for Today, and all the great sit coms of the 60s and 70s.

      Delete
  4. Four boys out now. Not sure why they have to wait to fill tanks. Seems to me they should have 100 filled tanks on standby. I have SCUBA dived and know well the claustrophobia when in close spaces and grubby water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are about 90 divers there, I would have thought the tanks would have been ready. The four boys were the most vulnerable, they seemed to have learnt the basics very quickly. 4 sets of parents happy, 9 families still waiting.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!