Monday, July 23, 2018

Sevenish

Another hot week, so I took Lucy down the village and snapped the plants I wanted to save from this year.  There is an abundance of berries on the trees, apples hang heavy and even our two plum trees have plenty, one has to be propped up.  Three 'lucky' rowan trees I counted, the holly is covered with green berries.  Creamy meadowsweet, tall pale teasels, and even poppies have shown their faces.
Yesterday another two amateur historians stopped by the church and we had a long discussion on the Battle of Brunanburh in 937, site still unknown though the University of Nottingham say it is the Wirral where it took place.  One man was interested in all the stones, here we are talking Saxon, in the churches, our church has a later Norman date, the other man, and I really envy anyone who can recite long lengths of poetry, would come out with apt pieces of poetry.
Fennel, its seeds always remind me of the gobstoppers of childhood, when having sucked one of these you came upon the fennel seed in the middle.

poppies add their bright colour to the countryside and verges

meadowsweet creamy lightness

teasel, gloriously perfect and used for wool



himalayan balsam, rather small here

the copse at the back of the garden, I always love how the sun rises behind it early morning

holly full of berries, it will be a good winter for the birds.


4 comments:

  1. I love the fennel as it makes a great home for my yellow swallowtail butterflies' larva.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love its featheriness, if such a word exist! and chewing the seed.

      Delete
  2. We had a very pleasant half hour's rain - quite heavy - this morning. That is another day when I don't have to water my courgettes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you Pat the rain won't make it over the hills to the East.

      Delete

Love having comments!