Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Wednesday

The love of my life said yesterday you haven't written anything for a couple of days but words do not necessarily spill out of my head at a moment's notice.  Politics have turned into 'The Mad Hatter's Tea Party' there is nothing to be said, except watch them spin on the proverbial head of a pin.
The weather remains hot though I heard a rumour of a hurricane on the way, think she is called Harriet.  Which is the name of the manager of the Sun Inn next door, they had their sign down yesterday as the sun had disappeared on it and were putting another transfer on.
Paul and Keith have finished tarting up the old notice board for our village, dug three foot holes for the post in soil that is like concrete and now it awaits Keith's artwork.  He is one of these ardent workers, going abroad every year to do voluntary work, such as Peru this year.  We are both in awe of him.
Have sourced a couple of blue Pekin bantams and will go on the weekend to collect them from the farm in Bedale, they are appearing at the Yorkshire Show tomorrow, so I hope no one snaps thems up.   It will be a bit like Lucy's claim to fame, in the fact that she has been to Portugal and lived there, though her prowess as a retrieving spaniel  was nil.  Now she is deaf, gunshot is something she doesn't hear.  But will I own prize winners?  And more importantly will Phoebe our one hen be good with two newcomers.



And I got a new 'igloo' type hedgehog house which now sits snugly under the bush out of sight,  I think our wild life must be suffering in all this hot dry weather.  No worms or insects, though there are thousands of little black beetles all over the roses.  The young badger their mothers, baby sparrows dance up and down for seed, jackdaws strut the lawn gobbling everything in sight when I throw out food, and yesterday a fledgling swallow almost crashed into me, squeaking with fright.


8 comments:

  1. Sorry to be so tardy with leaving comments on your blog - I have hardly ventures into blogland this past week and now we have Tam here for the week, working from home.

    I hope that your hedgehog house soon has occupants. I look forward to seeing photos of your Blue Pekin bantams. Having feathers or fur or (poor sheep) a full fleece as this year's lambs do, right now, can't be much fun in this heat. If you introduce the new hens at night, by the morning the pecking order should have been sorted out. That's what we always did when we had new hens in (we had 60 plus at one time, plus 35 ducks).



    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that is good news with Tam at home with you. Thank you for the advice about introduction of old and new hens, do have a run on either side of the coop, so could easily shut them off separately. I think we are all a bit tardy about commenting on other blogs, probably due to the fact that we don't want to give similar comments ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those little black beetles are, according to my cleaning lady, hay flies. I am inundated with them and they seem to be attracted to bright colours. My white car is often covered with them and every yellow snapdragon too, although they are ignoring the dark red ones.
    I used to have Pekin bantams (a trio, two hens and a cock, although never any babies). My father in law (well over ninety) - a Yorkshire farmer of the old school - was horrified when I bought them and also bought a spanking new house for them to live in. Complete waste of money in his opinion! When one of the hens laid her first egg I took it round for my mother in law to boil for his tea. 'Less than a mouthful' was the verdict.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well our 'hay flies' infest all the flowers little wretches, and I can quite see why they are called that, dislocated after the haymaking probably. I know bantams have little eggs, but they are so friendly, just use two!

      Delete
  4. I do hope you will be able to get your bantams. Raising chickens has become very popular in the past few years. I wish I could do do it but It is not the time of my life to take it on. I do get to enjoy a friend’s flock at times.

    We get Japanese beetles this time of year. They are very destructive and now we have a new bug, the spotted lantern fly, which attacks fruit trees and grape vines. It seems that every few years, a new pest appears that causes havoc to our summer plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never seen the Japanese beetle, though the red lily beetle was always a pest in Essex.
      Yes I shall keep my fingers crossed for the bantams, our solitary hen is getting very human friendly, peering sadly through the french windows to come in and snatching food out of our hand when we eat in the garden.

      Delete
  5. I keep putting water out and the starlings have raised a second clutch so they're now squabbling over the food. We had a jay on the bird table a few weeks back.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen a jay all the time we have been here, and magpies are thin on the ground as well, wonder if the farmers shoot them?

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!