Sunday, December 30, 2018

Grabbing memories for 2019

Wandering through one's photos catching the dying embers of the year.  The stone circle in Scotland, the warm sun, The summer flowers that appeared in the garden, already spurring me on to buy more.  You would never guess what I have ordered already?  Potatoes, goodness know where they are going to go except in pots or the  bags that I have ordered.  Yes, Brexit has finally got to me as well, provisions in case of shortage, though to be honest potatoes are easily grown.  My daughter is already stocking her cupboard, or under the beds of her children, dried stuff such as pasta, rice, flour for breadmaking, tins of stuff - can you believe it ;)
Too late to plant tulips, but the catalogues have come with eye catching dahlias, another late flower that reminds me of my childhood.  They were planted in the end lawn of the garden in Willenhall, bright twirls of colour with their funny twilled petals, cactus types and there is the 'Bishop of Llandaff' to collect!
Eskdalemuir stone circle
Rosea mundi a favourite rose. Has the following legend

Grown from seed an exotique mallow
Lilies, not in love with this colour

pale pink better

but this year yellow has been a favourite

fell in love with this rudbeckia, deep bronze petals


palest pink tulips, sad that a lot of tulips disappear from the garden, can I blame the squirrels?


a lank rose


Evergreen honeysuckle, bee and bird friendly (very)

Jam and Jerusalam, always flowering but starting to show signs of  black spot


Mark on the moors looking slightly uncomfortable away from his computer!

The moors a backdrop to our lives

but so invigorating

sunsets

storms

8 comments:

  1. A nice run-through of your lives this year Thelma. II love that Rudbekia - could you let me know the variety if you happen to have it please? I am already marking things in clare austin's catalogue, although my mares tail is still a problem. Happy New Year to you all. Maybe we shall meet for coffee somewhere this coming year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I do not know its name Pat, but it had a lovely colour. It would be lovely to meet for coffee, one day I shall drive up to Leyburn, are dogs allowed in coffee shops there I wonder. Happy New Year to you as well. X

      Delete
  2. Pretty photos. I have always stored certain items and that goes way back. The key is though rotating them. I've always believed disasters could change access to food. It's more of an issue in Tucson because less space but in Oregon a cow could be shot if worse came to worse ;). I think the concern goes beyond global climate change or Brexit but goes to our DNA and the remembered times we don't remember but they are there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure that everything will be alright, though in Switzeland you have to keep a fortnight's worth of food in the house by law. Like the idea of remembered times we don't remember, old ancestral lore I suppose. Happy New Year to you as well. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Among all that beauty I stopped to see mallow from seed! That is a lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems that from the wild mallow one can get many colours, I grew white as well and they have become perennial, but grow too tall for my liking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely to scroll through your photos this morning, especially those of flowers. I have a 'clean slate' to deal with as far as landscaping in the spring. I have a few ideas but nothing as a fixed plan.
    Those lilies with peach, purple, etc are a bit bizarre, aren't they?
    Sometimes the hybredizers get carried away! Honeysuckle is naturalized here to the point of invasive, but the scent is sweet; one of the first things to blossom in spring and the last to leave us in the fall. Cropping it back seems merely to encourage more growth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sharon, I took great delight in finding colourful photos on a damp and grey day. Have been watching how quickly your new house is growing, what splendid work. Then you have a new garden to plan, exciting of course but also daunting. I think I would fence how much land I want to cultivate, you seem to have so much land to live on. Then you have to dig ;)

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!