Thursday, December 13, 2018

Wednesday 13th December


Off With his head!




What has made me giggle.  Well firstly the long thin cartoon caricature of Jacob Rees Mogg being rather spiteful and demanding that the PM goes to see the Queen and offer her resignation.  Sheer Alice in Wonderland, though Hogarth could probably do it better.  Theresa May won the day by a margin, there will more brinkmanship of course, but to see Mogg furious was the icing on the cake. Yes, I find it extraordinary that such an upper class brat is even considered for running this country!

To more gentle happenings, yesterday was the gardening club Xmas lunch, a cold collation.  Here I will do a Pat description of the menu. A good looking ham was the meat side, surrounded by quiches of salmon, chicken and goats cheese/spinach. half a dozen salads, featuring pasta, rice, beans and salad leaves, and of course a couple of bowls of potato mayonnaise.  Then we went on to desserts, creamy and luscious - trifles, meringues glued together with cream, a delicious cheesecake, what looked like a pavlova and Irene's treat plus of course fruit salad, bottles of prosecco and a rather dry wine, which the woman opposite said should not be served with such sweet puddings.
She was charming but typical of her class, and we talked dogs, though I am not au fait with hunting with dogs up on Wheeldale Moor but my stance on shooting never left my lips and I smiled sweetly.
Christina on the way back called her a 'terrible woman' apparently she had been told off for parking her car in front of this person's house.
But anyway it was a lovely do, and I learnt a lot about us older females, there were two men there by the way, Paul was rather upset that I had gone off for a meal so I have said I shall treat us to a meal today.  We are going to collect some coal from Helmsley.

2 comments:

  1. This made me smile as I assume I am the 'Pat' of menu description fame (don't tell me if it isn't me it will prick my ego too much.) All sounds delicious, including the wine. As for the hunting, shooting, fishing brigade(JRM and the wine complaining lady perhaps both fit into this bracket wouldn't you say - I think we just have to ignore them - there are more of us than them. I must say I was please Mrs M won the vote - I think there were too many in there for their own ends rather than the good of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course it was you Pat your dining out always sound so delicious! Yes about that class of people who take on 'airs' sometimes I have to remind myself that the fault is just a cumulative affect of the class system and I should be more generous. Theresa has given herself another year in office, leaving in two years, she is sensible and that is what we need at the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!