Sunday, December 2, 2018

Sunday 2nd December

It is Sunday, the weather has been depressingly dark and dank, the light of Autumn leaves have faded, so I potter around my photos.  Those of Whitby, full of sun, people, houses and boats.  Look at this cottage with its zingy turquoise painted windows, look at the stature carved out of a tree stump, think this must be Staithes.
Further down will be my favourite photo of Paul under the Rowan trees at the beck, he loves the sun, in summer he will sit out on our bench in the evening, praising this move to Yorkshire, today he will curse its darkness. He never got round to understanding that the Earth operates at its own pace not his!






The wild Rowan with forest plantation at the back




Three Howes Cairns - Bronze Age up on Murk Mire Moors

The bleakness of the moors is represented by this thick blanket of heather, normally this brown colour for most of the year.  Often you will see it in square burnt of sections, to stop wild fires spreading, not easy to walk through but the grouse manage to scratch a living up here.

As for the Rowan trees they grow wild and along the lanes round here, probably due to their prolific seed which must be carried around by the over wintering birds.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Welcome, I see you have just acquired a collie, for a young one he seems well behaved. My collie Moss has gone to a doggie heaven but he was my most favourite creature. Very sensible and when I walked in strange places he always knew the way back.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures. I have our door painted turquoise :). This is my dark time as i hold out for the shortest day and the gradual return of the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turquoise is my favourite colour Rain. The shortest day of course is the 21st December here, the old pagan solstice day when the year turns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someday, someday I will visit this lovely and haunting area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well if you manage it you are always welcome to come and stay but winter can be a tad cold ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw the carving first...but that would be typical of what catches my eye wouldn't it!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, you have an eye for the weird and wonderful, like the little fairy door in your latest blog, my mind twitches to create something miniature ;)

      Delete

Love having comments!