Friday, March 29, 2019

29th March 2019

A book; Before the Poison by Peter RobinsonIt was lent by a friend, and is by a Canadian author about the Yorkshire Dales, he also wrote the successful DCI Banks series.  Crime thriller, his knowledge of Yorkshire comes from the fact that he owns a holiday cottage somewhere near Richmond and I believe he was actually born in Yorkshire.  The plot winds several strands through the story, the most interesting is the tale of Grace Elizabeth Fox who was hung for the murder of her husband in 1953.  
Another thread shows Grace's diary during World War 2, as a professional nurse she saw some terrible injuries and on fleeing the war from the Japanese army her boat was bombed and she swum ashore to a small island.  
The narrator is almost like the author, and there is criticism about the love affair  with the female estate agent, an aging male's concept of a beautiful romance, rather dated idea of course but time moves on.
Anyway the book was thoroughly enjoyable, so much so, that I sat and read it all day to get to the end!.


The day opened misty but the sun is now mistress in the sky, my potatoes are planted, and yesterday tragedy turned to hopefulness.  A bang against the kitchen window, and on the ground a beautiful young blue tit on its back,  I picked it up, its heart beating in my hands, and carried it to the churchyard where I placed it.  Coming back it had vanished, hopefully to live.


8 comments:

  1. I read some of the earlier Banks series but then they got a bit too violent and nasty and I wimped out of the rest. The one you mention sounds interesting so will give it a go if the library have it

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will probably enjoy it Sue. Just checking and I find he also wrote 'Caedmon's Song', though again it sounds rather violent, and again it has a couple of threads running through it, but based in both Whitby and Bath. Anyway it is good to come on someone not read before;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm...I have an aversion to crime fiction. So much of it is churned out but upon your recommendation I'll lift my barrier and read this when it appears at our Oxfam shop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is detail about other things that makes him a good read. Though I haven't read much crime fiction, there is a ballast change in how it is depicted on TV. We have been watching 'Hinterland' very Welsh, very drear and I don't think anyone is happy with their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peter Robinson is very popular here in the Dales as you can imagine. No my cup of tea but each to his own. I love your church and churchyard photograph - hope that tit survived.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First time I had come across him Pat, but someone to read when I can break my password to the local library.. It was a beautiful little bird as if he had just come out of a painting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don’t like thrillers, but find some of the crime fiction sometimes called police procedurals evokes particular places beautifully and has complex, interesting characters. I require plots to be believable (but seldom remember the plots). I love the way Peter Temple’s Jack Irish series (and the TV version with Guy Pearce) pictures (and critiques) aspects of the Melbourne I know. Donna Leon seems to do that for the real Venice. Doesn’t Peter Robinson’s Inspector Banks series do that for his corner of Yorkshire?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never watched DCI Banks until now, rather hate the nastier side of some of the killings. But have started to, Tompkinson isn't my favourite star, but what I notice about the characters used is that they have to have some terrible tragedy in their life and go round with grim faces most of the time. Mind you my face would be grim seeing some of the dead bodies. ;)

      Delete

Love having comments!