Saturday, March 2, 2019

Weaving - perseverance is the answer!

Well I took the plunge and ordered a small loom from Wingham Wool, which unsurprisingly enough is in Yorkshire.  There was a definite niggle to get back to weaving though to be quite honest I already have a larger Ashford loom but the setting up in this house would be impossible.  What provoked me was the colour yellow, it has been on my mind for a long time.  This shaft of sunlight has haunted me, palest lemon, but you can see the problem in the photo, you have to latch the winding stick to a surface, here it is the bookcase, when you warp....




Yellows; pale primroses, and evening primrose of course as well as these two below.  Coltsfoot and cowslips and so many more.
sweet smelling Ladies Bedstraw


Mullien   



Here is a rather beautiful loom I bought for pennies because someone had grown too old to use it....But it was far too complicated for me and so I gave it away.




To persevere; Persistence in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success.
‘his perseverance with the technique illustrates his single-mindedness’
‘medicine is a field which requires dedication and perseverance’

8 comments:

  1. I must say that yellow yarn does look soft. I like it when the weaving is soft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking up these old photos and I know where the wool came from, it was the Shetland Isles,also had a zingy orange as well.,,

      Delete
  2. Those yellows and Spring go together beautifully don't they? Good luck with the weaving - keep us up to date on progress,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny how colour 'talks' to you, yellow is definitely spring, daffodils and the brimstone butterfly. I never plant daffodils because in the part of Bath I lived the verges were always covered in them and that piece of verse 'a host of golden daffodils' always went through my head...

      Delete
  3. It looks interesting. The colors are appealing. I have a small table loom, which I haven't used for years. I always wanted a big loom as I love weavings and the sound of a loom as it's working, but never had the space for it. I probably wouldn't have used it enough either to justify the cost. They are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes the clatter is very appealing, I look at videos of people weaving all over the world, and marvel that this miracle of stitches that appear is just like the language of the computer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done for your perseverence. A group of crafting friends is having a Weaving Day soon so I am taking my late friend Annie's Inkle Loom to have a play with. I think I can manage on something that small!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Think you make guitar straps on inkle looms Jennie, should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!