Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Tuesday 19th March

Tired of the fracking saga, I shall dwell on more local activities.  Went yesterday and bought 6 (rather expensive Munstead) lavenders, they sit awaiting transplantation.
Yesterday also saw 6 of the village men tidy up the pavement, ie getting rid of the turf that had spread haphazardly in front of the church.  It was lovely to see Nigel, come across the road and join in, though he knew nothing about it. I talked to him this morning, his wife is ill with the terrible illness that stalks the land, though chemo is keeping her stable.  He needs someone to talk to about her illness but I am not sure how to help except listen, it will need some thinking.
My book arrived yesterday, for the price of postage, and I spent a happy afternoon reading it and touching the simple naive but rather lovely watercolour paintings, reflecting on a simpler time, which wasn't crowded out with terrible news


Notice the handwritten text.


Some things cheer me up, for instance, Solsbury Hill by Peter Gabriel.... and I am once more walking up that steep hill to the top, checking the wildflowers in the verges and thinking about the Iron Age people who lived up here.


Solsbury Hill

8 comments:

  1. Enjoy your Munstead Lavender - I shall imagine the scent.
    I put the three Shasta Daisy plants in and have now ordered three Helenium to put in. Once they are in I shall just wander round our market on Fridays and see what our local garden stall has to offer. He is a very knowlegeable man so I shall chat him up about it.
    Love the look of that book, looks such a relaxing read.
    Are you ready to have a drive over one day yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Pat I also ordered some Shasta daisies as well from the nursery you recommended. Yes I think fairly soon for the drive. ;)

      Delete
  2. Solsbury Hill sounds like a good place to escape to. We all need our Solsbury Hills or perhaps our Cuckoo Hills. It's nice that you were there to listen to Nigel. Sometimes that's all people need - like a release valve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Solsbury Hill is just outside Bath, and Gabriel used to live in the village of Box a few miles out, so it is a long hike back from Yorkshire....What made me sad though, was Nigel saying, you don't mind me talking do you, and it struck me that as a village we have no where for people to come together informally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read a lovely book with peaceful illustrations in a long while. Those are so precious as is your photo. I think being a listener is just fine and covers 80% of the assistance needed. In time you may have suggestions or feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nature books are perhaps the best Tabor, but being reintroduced to this book was good. As for Nigel, he also has his animals, half a dozen sheep, a couple of goats and a motley parade of hens. Also his new dog Sasha, they walk by the house every day, mostly to collect 'browse' for the goats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, this is a hill I have walked up, as a visitor from Australia, and much more recently than the fell walking we did as students in Manchester in the 70s. Such a lovely location. Thank you for the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure which hill you mean, but if it is Solsbury I am sure it was enjoyable. Once when I went up it was Good Friday and there were many people walking up and carrying the cross for a service at the top.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!