Friday, March 8, 2019

Assembled

Well the small loom arrived in a narrow box, it comes from Ashford in New Zealand via Wingham Wool.  So with some trepidation I assembled the many parts, noting with relief that there weren't too many screws. It is made of Ash, beautiful wood but it needs waxing or oiling.




The instructions were clear, though I had difficulty working out their/mine left to right, but the rollers turn and the front and back rail went on easily.

What else?  The Carvery meal went well, only 22 people though, one party had the farmer going to Castle Howard anti against fracking landowners movement that night - all to the good of course.  But it meant that several people from that end of the village did not come.  Plenty of meat for the carnivores, I had a lasagne, supposed 'vegetarians' get lasagne, there are only two of us!  People get such large proportions, I know farmers have a busy outdoor life but the plates of food are extraordinary.  Some newcomers to the village, confessed that they have never cooked, goodness knows how they will settle down, well there is the Chinese at Amotherby but the fish and chips from Kirkby will be cold before they get home....

So will I be weaving, probably not this weekend as my daughter and grandchild are coming down.  We may even go out for lunch at the Plough in Wombleton, my brain cannot think what to cook, grandchildren have so many likes and dislikes....

6 comments:

  1. Having good instructions with readable print is a blessing when putting anything together. That doesn’t happen all the time.

    Enjoy your day with your daughter and grandchild. I do know about picky eaters, and it is frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The eldest has never eaten cheese since 2 years and he is now 25, though his mother often smuggled into his meals. The youngest will mostly eat carbs in the way of potatoes, rice etc (she will demolish a yorkshire pudding) but is slim and healthy luckily....

      Delete
  2. Oooh, how exciting with your new loom. I belong to a small group ofcraft-minded ladies who meet in each other's houses each month, and next time we are doing weaving, so I will take my Inkle loom, and found another tiny loom I didn't know I had, and the lady who is holding the meet this time has a loom for Christmas. If we have a loom, we are all bringing them!

    I cannot imagine a couple who just eat out all the time and have never cooked. Ye Gods - come the end of the world they will go hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite excited about the loom, and dyeing as well. Been looking at youtube stuff, and there is plenty out there, already bought a camping stove for dyeing but need to get extra long roasting pan to get different effects.
      The couple seem quite proud of this non-achievement in cooking and also grateful for the inn next door;)

      Delete
  3. Ah Thelma - remember with affection the 'old days' when we more or less ate what was put in front of us? When my lot come there are two vegetarians, one vegan, two pescatarians and three fairly 'normal' eaters. Such a headache.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh you have a lot of different tastes to cater for. I remember as a child you sat at the table and ate everything put in front of you, hopefully without a whimper. Though one early childhood memory is of sitting on the bus with a piece of fat in my mouth which I could not swallow and so it remained there till I spat it out at a convenient moment.

      Delete

Love having comments!