Saturday, March 16, 2019

A mixed bag of news

Study of Rocks and Fern by John Ruskin. Crosmount, Perthshire



Starting with a sketch by John Ruskin, there is to be an exibition of his works at the Art Gallery in York, also his relationship with J.W.M. Turner.  It starts on the 29th March and goes through to June - a must see, though to be honest they will be examining his mental history as well.  Genius has to be questioned apparently, though what if his madness drove his genius and we should be grateful for his extensive writings, whether on painting, environmentalism or social causes.


Turner's Fountain Abbey

It reminded me that Greta Thunberg - the 16 year old climate activist has Asperger disease, and also may have suffered from mutism - an inability to speak.  Well that has certainly been overcome now as she faces the mighty and powerful.  Her sweet rather plain face, stares out at us, calmly telling us the real cost of climate change.  And her one person protest has now gone worldwide - all to the good of course, but will vested interests listen?
Checking the news here on whether schools had protested, I came across two big citys, York and Leeds.

York protest

Leeds protest

The winds have died down but rain is falling here, I think rain is preferable to that cold wind that greeted us every time we went out the side door but gardening is still put on hold.  The little violets are flowering in the church yard you can hardly see them but they are there.  I am relearning to weave, very soothing now that I have broken the back of warping, and realise I need to dye more colours.

https://esoterx.com/2015/10/13/john-ruskin-and-chamounix-the-convenient-teleolgy-of-insanity/

5 comments:

  1. Interesting post today Thelma. I think there is a fine line between genius and mental health in all the arts - so many examples of it over the ages. My grandson, who teaches in China, has Aspergers syndrome - it was so apparent when he moved to China - now not apparent at all. There have always been such things but we have given them a name now and I personally am not sure whether that is a good thing or not.
    Of Ruskin's genius there is no doubt.
    Do you remember you mentioned Shasta daisies you intended buying and I replied on your blog saying you had reminded me of them and that I would buy some for my new border as I love them too. They came yesterday - three nice little sturdy plants - at present sitting on the garage window sill (just too wet and windy (yes, a gale here)and I shall put them in once rain (pouring) and wind (gale force) have gone.
    I bought them (as I do most of my plants) from Claire Austin. If you don't know of her then do send for her catalogues - they are a delight and just make you want more and more things!! claireaustin-hardyplants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my son also has Aspergers, inherited from his father, but as you say it seems to disappear. Also naming things forces them into a narrow syndrome. Interesting quote from the link I have just added....

      Oliver Wendell Holmes observed, “Insanity is often the logic of an accurate mind overtasked”.

      Something that could easily be said about Ruskin. Thanks for the link, will definitely go there..

      Delete
  2. Wouldn't let me write any more, so here it is in full:
    www.claireaustin-hardyplants.co.uk
    If you haven't seen the catalogues do have a look - she has such a lovely selection and even if you don't buy it does give super colour ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Rocks and Fern study of Ruskin’s.

    Did you see there have been 1.4 million worldwide at the School Strikes for Climate? There were 100,000 over Australia- but I read that Montréal alone beat that with 150,000! Greta must encourage the young, female and those with Aspergers not to be too limited by the labels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruskin is often seen through the eyes of the film about him and his refusal to consummate his marriage, which is unfortunate given his great body of works.
      Yes, there is definitely an uprising by the young thanks to Greta, it needs translating into action though....

      Delete

Love having comments!