Sunday, March 31, 2019

Just to fill in space

As I was throwing a box of assorted miniature bits and pieces away, three things caught my eye, one had a story to tell.  There was a time when I created miniature boxes, one of Farley Hungerford Castle in Wiltshire. 


with thanks to  Rodw - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=35062641


 There had been a dig there, not one I was involved in but I had spent sometime there with my ex who directed it..  I remember the custodian telling me the tale of strange goings on in the crypt when she had spent the night there.  No not that, but the vision of a little girl who was laid to rest there and who was too cold, so she covered the coffin with her coat.  Now being of a realistic bent I did not believe her, but still, there was plenty of murder and mayhem here, just read the history...
Well it was the little candle holder my friend in Wales at the time had made, you can see it here on the left......

that brass kettle needs a good clean but then so does my silver...

I  had visited her at Carew, which has a famous castle and tidal water mill, and spent an afternoon with her looking at her miniatures.  She had made them out of empty clocks, and as you opened each door a scene would greet you.


Carew is such a romantic Welsh castle


Carew tidal mill



Well all historic things disappeared with time, but I enjoyed both the mental and physical act of making things.  And whenever I go through my photos they pop up.
Here it is the Prittlewell Anglo-Saxon royal burial.....




Prittlewell Anglo-Saxon grave




2 comments:

  1. We exchanged gifts in our group, I remember a lovely little cake someone had made which still sits in the dining table in the dollshouse, her family owned a greengrocer's shop in London and she had done a replica of it.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!