Saturday, November 14, 2020

Good News

 




Good news from Rachel as to Weaver's progress,  she is soon to come out of hospital. so let us all pray that Pat watches her step carefully and finds security and contentment in her bungalow and maybe Percy will once more become her trusty steed.

That box was small, did he sweep his desk with his crooked elbow shovelling everything in, flouncing out with a petulant smirk on his face - never to return.  No I am not talking about Trump but Dominic Cummings, our senior advisor to the prime minister.  Did Johnson, backed by Carrie (and why is she not at home looking after the baby for goodness sake;) say 'enough is enough'.  Will wait for Tom Stephenson's excoriating analysis but for the moment rejoice in the 'interesting news' that is hitting the s**t fan.

It is Saturday and I will miss the weekend papers, the cartoon in the Guardian will splat its interpretation of the latest news, think I will invest in The Observer tomorrow.



'Don't Worry' is my choice of video today.  A couple of days ago decided to defrost the freezer.  My fridge/freezer is a double act shyly hiding behind a boxed in cupboard, the switch is located in the adjacent cupboard. Not for me a grey monster dominating the kitchen with its all dancing all singing ability to work out what I am running out of, no just your usual white stuff.  Everything went fine I then went to switch it back on, deathly silence, no reassuring flicker of light, had the old thing conked out.  Here is where the 'Don't worry' theme comes in, I have a much newer one in the garage, almost in the same style, all I needed to do was transfer.  Luckily before I went down this road and phoned the local shop, I checked once more the switch, there were two lurking there and the other switched it on. So always check and don't panic.



This is a 1950s 'Prestcold' fridge, we used to have one in the scullery when I was a child, all I remember of it being full of salmon when my grandfather had gone fishing in Wales.  The story is though is that my daughter bought one for her kitchen, I suppose it is called 'retro'. It worked, but its monstrous presence always upset me.

8 comments:

  1. What good news about Weaver and I hope she will carry on for many years now. Well done for passing on the news.

    We had a Prestcold fridge - it was already old when my dad changed it over from running on gas to electricity. It was still up to freezing milk 5 years ago when we finally decided it needed to go to Electrical Heaven. It must have been nearly 75 years old by then! Glad yours wasn't caput. We have the real PITA job of totally emptying the chest freezer (and Gabby's fridge/freezer which is used for quarantining food and freezer overflow) before the Removals folk will take it. The contents of the chest freezer should provide some interesting meals!

    I'm glad Cummings is gone. Being empathic, I could tell the persona of the man before he ever said a word . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did he ever smile? writing on the wall I suppose. Never knew fridges could live so long but obviously Prestcold did not build in obsolescence. I know what you mean about those 'mysterious' plastic boxes of food.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for passing this on. Many of us have been checking daily for updates. Let's hope she's back with us soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and she is of course, see her blog. Lovely to see her back.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for the update on Weaver, have been checking all my favourite blogs for news, Going Gently, Tom Stephenson, a few others and, of course, yourself.
    Yes, some good news, Trump out and Cummings out (or going back to Epsilom 5) I mean Durham! Plus a vaccine on its way..we just need to hang in there. Love your blog, thanks Janx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes sometimes it is good to be joyful. As for Cummings, not sure his takeover of the government and employing weirdos has worked. Perhaps Johnson will pull his finger out and govern now. The original news came from Rachel though on Pat's return.

      Delete
  4. Your freezer reminds me of my parents' refrigerator. It was bought new when they married in 1957. They used that same fridge until the '90s and never had a problem with it. It was replaced when they remodeled their kitchen. Fast forward. I'm now in my 60s. We have rentals. I can assure you that refrigerators are not so long lived these days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes in the 'olden days' they built to last. And your parents did not get tired of the fridge and revamp as so many people do. Today I did a government survey on how we must approach the 'Green revolution' and that is one of the things I wrote about - electronic goods that last longer and repair shops.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!