Monday, June 14, 2021

14th June 2021

All the King's Men?


So what do I see today;  Charming photo of the Queen with the Bidens, afternoon tea at Windsor Castle.  Joe Biden has a laid back charm, he has fitted in easily between the leaders, Johnson has hosted the party well in Cornwall and what will come out of the meetings with Merkel and Macron remains to be seen.

Beach pictures of happy Johnson family with Jill Biden, all photo opportunities for the family album and the over top security has kept any bad business away.  The Biden's were late for church but the vicar Father Philip Dyson said...

“I think the G7 has been such a great occasion. The scripture readings were appropriate because it was about creation and climate, and things growing, so it absolutely suited the occasion.”

He added that the scriptures were not selected “by choice”, adding: “It’s just the way it always is. The word of God always fits in.”

Somehow the ordinariness of it all was sweet.  Will the world get changed though? I cannot answer that.

Escapees growing near Butser Farm, Wiki entry.

Now for a word which I always fall in love with year after year, Hesperis Matronalis, or Dame's Violet or even Sweet rocket.  It appears in the garden every year, sweet smelling white clusters of what I think of as a wild flower, but only because it is an escapee into the countryside.

Note: White tailed bumblebees in ceanothus, bright yellow pollen whereas the honeybees are pale yellow.

Yesterday was my youngest grandchild's birthday, Lillie was 15 years old, and is again in lockdown from her school.  Todmorden is experiencing a wave of the Delta variant.  It looks like we will not be reopening on the 21st June as figures rise once more.



I had forgotten this piece of news in the Guardian here, it is about stopping the use of gun clubs in the beautiful Esk valley.  The Tibetan monastery near Eskdalemuir has started a petition against  two applications for gun shooting clubs in the valley.  It is indeed a quiet and peaceful place, in fact given one of my nine lives I might have entered this monastery as a nun, even if it was only to work in the garden producing vegetables. The only thing keeping me back though was the shaved head style.














 

8 comments:

  1. Interesting about your becomng a nun apart from the shaved head style ThelmaThank you for the reminder about sweet rocket - I had completely forgotten it and it is a plant I love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly you encounter sweet rocket in the wild, unless you sow it purposefully. The thought of a quiet reflective life is appealing, unfortunately I am not religious.

      Delete
  2. I see Sweet Rocket growing on village verges as we drive about Powys and Herefordshire. So pretty.

    I fear I was never set out to be a nun. There would be the most dreadful war in my head between duty and freedom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a passing phase Jennie, I love the thought of sitting quietly contemplating but not any god of any description would be there to lead me ;)

      Delete
  3. The shaved head would not be a problem to me!!! I find almost all Buddhists I meet to be rather impressive - deep thinking and caring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes vanity rules over shaven head problem. Buddhism is about thinking and striving of course, the end goal always oblique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish Sweet Rocket grew wild round here - no such luck. I had a few plants that popped up each year in the garden at the smallholding - glorious scent and glow in the dark white

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are similar to Evening Primrose and night scented stock, they attract the moths at night Sue.

      Delete

Love having comments!