Tuesday, June 1, 2021

1st June 2021



Poems;  wandering through my photos and I came across an Auden one, reflecting the times he lived in and that old foolish notion we have as to how life should be lived.  It was sparked by the gas mantle light mentioned.  My daughter had remembered one  shining softly  in the evening.  We had camped in an old caravan at Castle Acre Priory where I worked for a couple of months drawing on an archaeological dig.

Another poem came to mind as well Anne Bronte's 'Farewell' I think it had appeared in the story of Wildfell Hall.  I had listened to it last week when it was filmed on a church funeral service.  A particularly sad occasion in Germany after the death of an Australian man, both he and his wife and daughter run  knitting videos compilation of famous designers from all over the world.  They were a beautiful family and it was so sad that this tragedy had fallen.  They played at the end of the service 'Lark Ascending'.  Music that still captures this time of the year, when the skylark starts up from the field and flies high into the blue sky singing its warning to us to stay away from the nest.

And to my grandchildren who are all growing up too quickly, a happy photo at Paper Mill Lock.  Matilda today goes to be judged on her work before her tutors and the daughter of Rupert Murdoch, keep strong little one.

Here she is on a photo shoot, fashion design and journalism is her goal. 





7 comments:

  1. Lovely Auden poem - lovely family photograph - element of sadness too. I have many like that - they remember the happy times but the sadness remains. Sending love. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone is smiling, even Tom has managed, young teenage boys find smiling sometimes difficult. The river here at the lock was very beautiful, with a lot of damsel and dragonflies galore.X

      Delete
  2. That is a nice looking family, Thelma! Auden sounds like he did not like progress or new things but I would never have found your blog without my computer! I enjoy "meeting" people from around the world and learning about their lives and their homes and their families!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ellen, glad you enjoy all our blogs, for me it is a bit like diary keeping, jotting down what has happened on particular days and how we all cope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Auden poem is fresh to me but how I enjoyed it. Lark Ascending is the one I have asked for when my time comes.

    Lovely family photo. Happy times.

    How long must you wait to find out how Mathilda got on? It sounded pretty daunting, presenting her work to THAT line-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a difficult course and hard, they are assessed practically all the time but she thrives on work Jennie. Lark Ascending is always top of the classics, English music of a certain period has a certain poignancy that is hard to explain.

      Delete
  5. I am a complicated luddite, one who loves the old ways, but can't seem to get along without the new. I've caught up on your blog, reading three posts in one greedy gulp.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!