Saturday, June 5, 2021

5th June 2021

Worryingly  views to my blog have doubled in the last two days, why I don't know, was it the tea set I put on the other day, now elsewhere at Age Concern.  Or is there a criminal element out there?

So something innocuous, this time the cascading blooms of wisteria at Hylands House near Chelmsford, which came through as a memory on F/B.


It is funny how memories come up for yesterday whilst packing a problem arose.  I have the most delicate Chinese tea cups with painted Wisteria fronds hanging down given by my first MIL.  The old black box in which they kept, lined with red silk has several gaps where a couple of cups have been broken.  The box will not fit into the medium cardboard boxes I have, do I buy more? delivery is expensive  Why do we hang on to these things, my reason one of the grandchildren may want to inherit it.

The cups have lasted for a long time, from the 19th century at least, there is also a beautiful silk piano cloth, embroidered with a great dragon and chrysanthemum flowers, the embroidery thread grey now with age but still beautiful.  

Packing has been about choices, there I was ready to stride out into another future with less possessions, but I realise I need all the plates, mugs and bowls for family meals....  

https://northstoke.blogspot.com/2012/05/in-praise-of-wistaria.html

14 comments:

  1. I've had the same thing happen (rise in reader numbers) occasionally. I wonder if some people have automated links based on keywords in the last post? I too had the same dilema about keeping beautiful objects that my family might want one day some of which are still going back up in the loft. For every day I keep the minimum of plates etc in an easily accesible drawer in the kitchen with extras for those family occasions up on the top shelves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have decided not to worry about anything such as views shooting up Ruta, checked with my security man McAfee and everything seems alright! Reduction of plates, etc is difficult but will try.

      Delete
  2. We were shown how to fit two boxes together to pack longer things - you have a good overlap and them brown tape mightily the two boxes together. Hope that makes sense. You can open up a side on each if it's wider rather than longer. Hope this helps. Or a visit to a shop that sells white goods - they always have spare boxes they flat pack normally. A shame to damage the china in transit, unless you carry it in the boot of your car? We did that with our mot precious things.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not taking the car Jennie, no one wants it, so will have to get rid of it because of my sight problem. Funnily enough The Sierra Club has put forward the idea that we should donate petrol cars (in America of course) to them to be made into scrape for electric cars. Good idea about fitting two cardboard boxes together, will look on Youtube.

      Delete
  3. I wouldn't worry too much. What have you got to lose other than copyright? Google owns it anyway. Ts & Cs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, don't worry is the right message, words are fleeting.

      Delete
  4. When I moved in here after widowhood I really went through everything and off loaded a lot to the charity shop and to friends and relations. Now I have to keep a strong will to stop myself stocking up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Human beings are acquisitive creatures sadly, we home make and feather our nest too much Pat.

      Delete
  5. I am silly in the things that remain dear to me. I have two pussywillow bowls. I save them because they are a reminder to my grandmother. I have a beat up huge mixing bowl. It was my mother's and countless bread doughs have risen in it, countless rice puddings baked in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they always have stories attached Debby. Storytelling is of course the way we keep the family and ancestors alive for the children.

      Delete
  6. My blog stats have increased in the last couple of days too - not that I would have known if you hadn't prompted me to look. I've never given them much credence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well suddenly Tasker as you type away without thought, the realisation there are lots of people reading you is scary but it is going down thankfully.

      Delete
  7. Weaver spoke about this on her blog too. I think if we share a story about the items that have a memory for us then our children may want to keep the items to keep the memory going.
    Eventually, if nobody wants my trinkets, then I won't care because I will probably be gone too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robust thought Ellen, if I am not there the world has ceased to exist!

      Delete

Love having comments!