Saturday, June 19, 2021

19th June 2021

As I read the news yesterday there was this young lad stating simply that he had only used cash twice this year, and that really all he used was a card to get everything.  Then, maybe in the same article, an old man sitting at a table without food and drink and the customers questioning why?  Simply put he did not have a Smart phone with the necessary app for ordering.  The changeover to a cashless society will cause complications sadly and it is at the bottom of society this will be felt more keenly.  I am not sure even how to find an app or use it.

The woman from the moving firm came down a couple of days ago, here it will be bank transfer, something I do easily.  She came I presume to measure the miles (85 miles) and what was taken and to judge whether I needed a small van or larger one.  Jen totted up the furniture I was taking, so I will have to keep within the bounds, we discussed storage and decided on the storage unit with the larger lift for taking my stuff.  Storage is a bit of a worry, for instance I just took up some new knitting, but where are my size 4 needles, which box for goodness sake?

As things disappear into boxes they disappear from my mind and always I question do I really need that. Next weekend Paul's boys come down with a van to take some of his stuff, all the furniture will probably have to go to some sort of charity such as St.Catherine, a hospice, they have retail shops selling larger items.

It rains at night leaving the garden slightly damp, I haven't put many photos on my blogs recently, probably because I have been playing round with the cameras on my phone and tab.  But the rose 'Rosamunda' has put forth a lovely stripey rose and the other rose bushes are putting forth their pink blushes, against the blue of the ceanothus.

The kitchen door is open for the cat, she always comes in in the morning and winds himself round my legs till I get cross.  If one day my blog does not appear it will be because he has tripped me to an untimely death.  Outside all of the bustling bird life chatters to itself.  The starlings have a nest under the pub roof with noisy young. The sparrows flit around the stone driveway like so many leaves.  Thrushes and blackbirds haunt the lawns for grubs, finches and all members of the tit family fly through and the woodpecker is to be seen hanging from the nut receptacle.

In this photo you will see the problem of creeping buttercup that has hit this bed with such fury.  Last year I spent battling three large Virginia creepers on the fence, it is almost as bad as Russian Vine, so giving up gardening will be a relief.  When it becomes a battlefield give up!


This is such a warm spot in the garden the ceanothus enjoys it with its back to the wall.


The Jam and Jerusalem rose got sick this year, looks like yellow jaundice ;), but I have cut the heart out of it and hopefully it will recover.  The one below is as prolific as ever.





10 comments:

  1. Will you be moving closer to your family then Thelma? I assume so. Good furniture can be put in auction, which will give you a little money towards moving expenses.

    With our boxes, I put a label on with brief contents - craft things might be "patchwork" or "curtain material" or "knitting" so you have a rough idea of contents. Keeping a bag of might-be-needed sewing stuff and a roll of knitting needles might be a plan - that could easily travel with you and you wouldn't be stuck if you needed to sew a button back on or knit something soothing!

    I had Rosamunda in my last garden. Indigo is just starting to bloom now (one of my new ones) and The Lady of Shallot is flowering with gay abandon up on the bank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Jennie, in fact I will be staying with my daughter for a couple of months until I find somewhere to live. She has just messaged she will come down and pick me up when I eventually move which is a great relief. Travelling on trains and changing stations is not my forte! I have allowed myself 20 boxes, and to be honest they all have different things in them, though three are marked 'craft room' none yielded any needles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buttercups and bidweed - I've given up trying to dig them out and just go round once each week pulling out what I can find, and put it in the garden recycling bin (don't want it in my compost). At least yours will soon be someone else's problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My buttercups look quite pretty, unfortunately next to the pink of the cranesbill the colour combination is wrong. Cranesbill's of course put up a great fight, and perhaps we should be tolerant and learn to live with all plants.

      Delete
  4. Interested in what Tasker says Thelma - I have Mares Tail and I got quite paranoid about it until friends went to look round the gardens at Eggleston Hall where they have it in profusion. When they mentioned that I had it and asked what they did about it they said they treated it like any other weed and hoed it up. I am not so bothered by it now - it is actually quite pretry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am never quite sure when you say mare's tail if it is not horse tail, which I believe was brought over by the Romans. I think it is very pretty, and spying it in the wild one day found the secret place deer slept at night. So it has always been a good memory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is sometimes easier to give in and let the weed grow as long as it looks okay with the other plants there. I am not good at identifying plants so I am never sure what the heck I am growing. As long as it looks healthy and blends in, I let it be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the spirit Ellen, weeds are plants that according to us are in the wrong place.

      Delete
  7. I worry about the cat at my feet, too, but he has been pushed off so often with my cane that sometimes he stays a footfall away. Still worrisome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes Joanne, cats have this habit of winding in and out of one's legs, presumably affection but could have a lasting effect!

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!