Thursday, January 6, 2022

A Brief interlude

Apologies for straying into the land of politics.  I blame it all on John Crace and Marina Hyde of Guardian fame, they make me giggle.  Taking life seriously I do not.  Also today is the 6th January, anniversary of the attack on the Capitol - I would call that history?

So some photos this morning in celebration of good news, though I guess it will all unwind sometime in the future.   We left Europe but in doing so we lost subsidies to the farmers, well that loss is going to be made up by a lot of money being handed out for 'rewilding'.

So a lot of tree planting, peat habitats restored and hopefully our rivers and streams will be cleaned out and not used as dumping grounds for either sewage or run off of toxic pesticides and herbicides from farms.  Fingers crossed.

So some past photos to remind me that there is still wilderness and that plants still thrive in unimproved grass land. And to listen to, Christopher Lloyd - a Well Seasoned Garden.

Toadflax

Ladies Bedstraw




Malmesbury Abbey garden


Sybil's garden

Large hunting dragonfly in Bath garden

Rebecca Solnit review of 6th January 2021

19 comments:

  1. John Crace's is not the only hilarious report of this week's Prime Minister's Question Time. Ange for P.M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't keep a good woman down, she left Johnson floundering.

      Delete
  2. I think the Malmesbury garden is taken care of by the naked couple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think they have put on some clothes since then and a divorce if I remember right!

      Delete
    2. Whoa, that's a reality check. Love Jan Bx

      Delete
    3. And Jan the garden was open to the public ;)

      Delete
  3. Christopher Lloyd - one of my all time favourites and so knowledgeable.
    Loved your photographs - the toadflax one reminded me of a rhyme I used to recite in my wildflower collecting days (looking not picking\0 - The toadflax, the toadflad, with lemon-coloured spikes and funny friendly faces that everyody ikes. Don't know where I got it from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently toadflax as it grew looked like ordinary flax until it developed its flower, so that is why it was named in the 16th century by a botanist. When I thought where had I seen these wild flowers, all on stretches of land, especially prehistoric sites, where the farmer had not been able to get to with modern farming methods.

      Delete
  4. It is hard to not talk politics. We in the U.S. are on the verge of a civil revolution. Really, although most people do not believe that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slowly I am beginning to understand that Tabor. Our last civil war was in the 17th Century but I see a pattern of undemocratic means to power already thought out and planned for the future. Very frightening.

      Delete
  5. The pictures are lovely! Wish my yard looked like that! I am not very handy in the garden...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes Ellen I have to reassure myself that the world is not as frightening as I think it is.

      Delete
  6. Oh how I needed to see all that green today! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greenery is sadly lacking at the moment as the snow turns to rain and it is bitterly cold, so I am glad you enjoyed the photos both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was a refreshing break to see the beautiful greenery, wildflowers, and blue skies. It's only the first week of January and I am missing the leaves on the trees and pretty colors of flowers, and soft warm breezes. Thank you for sharing those pretty pictures with us.

    The squirrels and their antics, even though often destructive, are the only interesting to see when I look out my window in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always pleasant to look back at the greenery from previous summers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Again thank you both. The green is particularly striking and the photos were taken by my old camera which obviously loved the sun ;) Just opened a very large box with two African Violet plants in, an early birthday present from my son.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!