Sunday, January 16, 2022

Hanging up one's boots


I would love to know the story of these boots left here in the woods.  Did the person give up walking, did he forget them as he changed his shoes?

Yesterday we had fondue, no wine so tea had to suffice.  Bread and cheese for that is all it is.  Eaten up on the slopes in Switzerland keeping an eye on the grazing cattle, the men would eat this simple food.  Today I have been sorting photos, I was going to write about Lucy my spaniel rescue dog, most of the pictures I found of her was asleep on a sofa.  So I decided to pick a few other photos instead, ended up with 20.  Funny how photos bring instantly to mind the time of their taking.



The second is of Tom, my grandson.  He became engrossed in the computer games that my son and his friend played.  I remember the first games a little ball ping-ponging its way across the screen.  He seems to be playing a similar game here. The game I dreaded most was the racing car one, at this stage we had the controls at our feet, and Tom would sit on my lap controlling the wheel, whilst I controlled the speed presumably.  Lara Croft was a game I never actually could start, no matter how many jumps I made!

Again Tom, with dear old Moss behind him,   I love the clarity in which Tom looks into the camera.


He was an active child, says she drily, as I remember the mess he would make of the sitting room, distributing cushions and chairs round the room, winding them with wool.  That restless activity was resolved through games in childhood and now he has two jobs, one in advertising the other in personal training in the gym, and already being noted in the media.

What else, my father-in-law, me and my daughter in Blonay.  I noticed this photo because of the similarity of the dark glasses in the kitchen - makes us look glamourous ;)

The Hole of Horcum, somewhere I never walked down to but very spectacular...




Fronds slowly opening for summer

Coming to the end of summer

Blackberry flowers

And lastly, I was introduced to Wordle yesterday, completed my first word in three moves!  Andrew explained it, he also showed us the 'reverse image' function on the Iphone.  It didn't work particularly well on the fondue box but it has potential. 

 



11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You only get one word a day Pat. The instructions are fairly simple. Here is the link....

      https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/ I have a feeling it is part of the dark net to turn us all into computers but don't take me seriously. Though our computer expert Andrew is hooked!

      Delete
  2. Best that the boots remain a mystery. I only once played Tomb Raider. I spent my whole time staring at Lara Croft's carefully designed backside as I meekly followed her around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps the boots were a warning, don't go down to the woods today because it is very muddy. Or he got stuck in the mood and that they had to pull him out leaving the boots behind. I realised fairly early on that I was no good at computer games, Lara had a funny walk if I remember correctly.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed your photos, Thelma. It is lovely to take the time to go through old pictures as they do bring back so many happy, sweet, enjoyable memories for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Worse - the boots don't look like a pair, so two one-legged persons are hopping bare-foot through the mud. Your photos are great. We particularly love the fern frond (koru) and the teasel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do look slightly different, maybe through ill use though. I love to see ferns unfold themselves, now they grace such places as the Lake District in a red bronze colour in their death throes.

      Delete
  5. Those pictures hit the spot. I remember being fascinated by Pong, but my children not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am quite glad I took photos as I passed through everyone lives and the many walks I took, it is a good record. As for games they were so simple in the early days of the computer Joanne.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!