Friday, March 18, 2022

18th March 2022

 This is a miscellany of photos found on my camera this morning.  The first one is of a 1980s knitting magazine my daughter found in a charity shop last week. She was so excited about it ;) Mum do you remember this, I used to pour over this magazine and ask you to knit sweaters for me.  Now I live in a household of females, and as I occupy Matilda's bedroom (with a large print of Kate Moss glaring down on me) and the long length mirror for the girls to come and twirl, you could say that fashion is part of the conversation.

Well I would be kicked out of any discussion, what with my Cotton Trader labels, and the polite giggle from someone who handles the advertising for another company I own up to, that I really have no opinion on the subject.  Except to say of course that fashion always comes around, and I don't understand why males are wearing dresses to go out at night...  It is a generational thing!

It hasn't travelled far from Betsy's Wool Shop in Droyslden. 4 miles from Manchester



Elegant simple dresses but the knitting would not stand up to wear and tear

The stairs to the attic.  My daughter covers the walls with prints, film prints (luscious ladies) and of course, Mary Mother of God  bric-a-brac, it is something she collects, she is not religious I think it is the matriarchal aspect that intrigues her.

The ugly face of Long John Silver when you turn the corner

This is a family painting (bad I might add) of what we think was a house in Leipzig, rented by  a g.g.g.grandfather? many years ago.  Because my daughter's grandmother said she always visited her grandfather here. 

There are things I am hopeless out, geography for one and spatially working out how ancestors relate to one another but reading Prof. Alice Robert's on Ancestors this morning, I see she is as sceptical as me on not relating to any one ancestor in the past, except to their stories.

When you have to go back ten generations - so around - 300 years - to gain over a thousand theoretical,  direct ancestors.  Can you possibly, in any meaningful way,  identify with all of them? It's surely individuals, and individual stories, that we identify with most - even if (perhaps because) there is no way of demonstrating a direct genetic connection to them, other that they were human, like you.




8 comments:

  1. It is so interesting how your posts have changed since you moved! Next you will be changing fashion to keep up with the rest of the females in your household. So glad you seem to have settled but do miss imagining you living "just down the road"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I seem to have entered a different era Pat, but notice the 'magpie miscellany' I head the blog with. My mind collects details and chews over them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I retired, I really don't have much "fashion" at all. I wear sweatpants and sweatshirts to stay comfy no matter where I go these days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Think its' called 'dressing down' Ellen ;) but so do I.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was in college my mother knit me a dress like the two above. Irish wool. I wore them for years, until I outgrew them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you would need a knitting machine for those dresses Joanne, one's shape could have changed before they were finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just size 6 circular needles and knitting worsted. Both my mother and I were speedy knitters. I knit and watched TV or read because I taught myself to "read" the stitches. I seldom looked at the work, including Arans and lace patterns.

      Delete
    2. Size 4 UK and 6 US. The size I normally knit on Joanne. I do envy people who do not need to watch the stitches, though I can do it sometimes.

      Delete

Love having comments!