Saturday, March 5, 2022

Land Art



I looked up from my computer this morning and saw this picture on my calendar.  What can you see?  An ammonite curled in on itself, a maze leading you stone by stone to its centre.  The entrance with large stones on smaller ones, reminds me of a cromlech with the large capstone balanced on smaller orthostats.

This land art by Jon Foreman was set out on Newgale Sands, Pembrokeshire, a place I know well, for here I would stop on a long drive from Bath and let Moss out for run, we would climb the hill behind the beach and look out on the grey sea.  This sea which at high tide would come in breaching the great bank of stones, would flood the road, making it impassable to Haverfordwest, the water swirling over to the summer campsite on the opposite side and drowning it.

See how the tide creams up against it in its destructive force, Foreman is giving us stories to think about as we look down.  What am I thinking about?  I see Europe drowning under the waves of refugees, but applaud Germany and Poland for taking them in.  They do not niggle like our government but act with kindness and courage.  Sod all dictators.





13 comments:

  1. Do you know Andy Goldsworthy's sculpture? I love that it could never been put in a gallery and disappeared only minutes after it was created. A few weeks ago I would surprise myself by managing to go a whole hour without thinking about Covid. Just now I spent a quarter of an hour without thinking about Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Tom, they are called ephemeral, rightly so. I love the leaf ones, the use of Autumn leaves especially. Ukraine will dominate the news now just like covid sadly.

      Delete
    2. I liked the pigmented streams using local pigments. Even more ephemeral than leaves.

      Delete
    3. There is an old ochre mine at Golden Valley in Wick, it stains everything red around it.

      Delete
    4. So that’s why it’s called Golden Valley.

      Delete
  2. I love the expression "creams up" in this context. It seems so right. Jon Foreman's beautiful ammonite may not have lasted long but while it was here it was lovely. Nothing lasts forever - even the relative peace we have known in Europe throughout our queen's happy and glorious reign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sea has many colors and I could just imagine that very long beach. Yes things have taken a very dark turn, did the ones in power know even?

      Delete
  3. I like that Carl Sagan quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sagan had a good heart Ellen.

      Delete
    2. Using my tablet to reply so excuse shortness. Internet refuses to work on my computer.

      Delete
  4. I like the spaces it's already awash in sea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the stones won't move for quite awhile but they hold the story of the fierce winter storms that will eventually wash them away Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope it will be helpful for almost all peoples that are searching for this type of topic. I Think this website is best for such topic. good work and quality of articles Thanks
    Barsatein Online

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!