Thursday, March 31, 2022

Songs for that which is vanishing

 

Durer's Hare


It is snowing this morning, the snow hares of the mountains are fast disappearing according to the news.  We will remember the hare in song and verse but it will not be the same.  Spell Songs are  not quite the songs for this time of year but the dark times are already with us.

Where the machair grass is and the selkies live  - Dig in, Dig in is one such song but keep listening to the others.  And then this...........



8 comments:

  1. I wish there were more of us singing spell songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just have to wait I think Anne. They have lovely voices.

      Delete
  2. The shooting of hares is still allowed. They treat hares as rabbits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's coursing I don't like. But I have seen hares round Avebury and the Wiltshire downs. Shooting animals for sport is wicked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a beautiful song. I haven't heard the term "hunkered down" said by anyone other than me for a long while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love their voices. It all started with Jackie Morris and Robert Macfarlane's spell book and the 'Lost Words'.

      Delete
  5. Don't know what happened to my reply Thelma. So here it is again. The hare is my favourite animal and I have images of them scattered about the house - cards, pictures, statues. The Durer is one of my favourite pictures. It is a long time since I saw a'real' one but I live in hope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know they are your favourite Pat, the mad March boxing hares. The next thing for me is the cuckoo's appearance in April.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!