Tuesday, March 29, 2022

29th March 2022


Cornwall on a miserable day

The weather has been beautiful and high pressure always brings me a small strange gift called precognition.  I mention or dream of something that is going to happen in the future.  Normally completely trivial things, never dreamt of the lottery numbers for instance.

King Arthur's Hall

On Sunday it was the old film 'Gone with the Wind' , Andrew exclaimed but you had  only just mentioned it when it reappeared in the conversation a few minutes later, as trivial as that.  But last night I dreamt someone asked me which was my favourite stone circle and I had said The Hurlers in Cornwall.  These are are three stone circles scattered somewhat haphazardly on the moors beneath the Tor on Bodmin Moor.  So this morning when I looked at my emails, "Sound the Trumpets" caught my eye.  From an old friend, at last, there was to be an official exploratory excavation at King Arthur's Hall in Cornwall.  A strange rectangular site with stones around a pond like structure.  The argument goes that either it is prehistoric or medieval.  It denotes the boundary line  between two estates and has all that lovely historic facts sited in this particular spot.  You can read about it here.

A corner of Cornwall, moors meet up against forestry plantation. King Arthur's Hall firmly in the centre, with the faint sign of the boundary bank in front.


My heart leapt with excitement, why I don't know, but it was one of the places in this country of ours that fell deep into my soul.  Its barren wilderness still held in the compass of the moor.  So as  my mind danced round the past excursions to Cornwall, there was a feeling well maybe before I kick the bucket I shall know its secret ;)


15 comments:

  1. Part of the fascination of ancient sites like that is the not knowing - the mystery that remains. It is often said that we murder to dissect but frequently we might also say that we murder to explain. I am not at all sure that our ancestors were as obsessed with explanation as modern day people seem to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right there of course. What we think it maybe might have been completely different. There is a theory going round that often what we take for ritualistic sacred sites are nothing like that. Paul always said stone circles had hurdling round them to keep the cattle in.

      Delete
  2. You live in a beautiful area of the world and your interest in its history adds to that compelling beauty. I really would love to visit there some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cornwall situated at the end of England Tabor is a small country in itself. Often known for wanting independence, it is a tourist spot on the coast and very beautiful in places, though moorland clothes a lot of it.

      Delete
  3. I get the precognition on occasion too. It is always when I am relaxed and my mind is in neutral territory. Aged around 20, my best friend phoned and said "Guess what?!" I replied, "Rosie's pregnant" - she said incredulously, "How did you know that?" It just came to me (and our friend hadn't mentioned they were trying for a baby). Some are not good things - like when steeplechaser Best Mate collapsed and died at Exeter. Sometimes it's more mundane like knowing when letters from certain people are going to arrive .

    I hope you have been given a nod that the site may be dated soon . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a large report on it Jennie, but argument as to whether it is medieval or prehistoric remains. OSL and radio carbon dating of pollen and soil will give dating evidence. Roy and others established that the pool in the centre had either paving or the rock bottom. Two cists and evidence for a prehistoric house near the entrance but of course if it was used for a pound for animals a lot of evidence is lost. Not forgetting tin mining as well!

      Delete
  4. How interesting, your 'knowing'. It happens to me too. That something 'clicks' and I know without understanding how I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And how do you explain it Debby? is the future already lived or do we move side by side with a parallel world? Or are we just witches;)

      Delete
    2. I don't try to explain it really. It just is and every time that I do try to explain it, I sound like a nut. So it's just something that I know about myself. It's nice when I see that someone else 'gets it'.

      Delete
    3. PS: A recent example. When I flew home, the fellow sitting next to me challenged me to a trivia match. By the time that we were done, four more people had jumped in to play. I beat them all. I recognized questions: I had just read a book. A tour guide made a comment which turned up as a question. Silly little coincidental things. Other times, the answer just came to me. I recognized it, but didn't know where it came from. It is strange.

      Delete
    4. I think sometimes it may be a little frightening but our brains work often in a mysterious way. Mine now fills with memories from the past, so it is strange to have these 'coincidental' thoughts and also precognition Debby, especially as they are so fragmentary.

      Delete
  5. It is many years since I visited Cornwall and I don't expect ever to visit it again - but I have always seen it as a county totally separate from the rest of England with a great sense of the nmysterious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was a hard place to live in Pat, mostly what you see is mining as an industry. Now tourism has taken over and of course ruined the chances of the younger people of ever being able to settle in their own town or village. The mystery lies in its history, the old Celtic saints that sailed round the coast and the prehistory still writ on the land.

      Delete
  6. I once had a very vivd dream that I walked down to a thriving and busy Roman port, with shops lining the quaysides and many boats moored up alongside.

    Then I visited Ephesus, and when I went down to the old - now dry - harbour, it was exactly as my dream. Exactly, including the shops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its weird isn't it? Perhaps I should start talking about Rupert Sheldrake and morphic resonance but I haven't read him up much. There is an explanation we just don't know it yet.

      Delete

Love having comments!