Monday, June 12, 2023

12th June 2023 - Boreham Church


I just love the colours of faded petals and flowers.

Last night I attached my external drive of photos to this new computer.  Larger than life it all seemed to me. So I went through a few files. Somehow I am glad that I snapped away, for it brings so much back to me and of course the myriad of things I have seen.  Married to an archaeology lecturer for 27 years does give you an understanding of the history of this country, though those years are recorded in ordinary photos.  With Paul I happily 'did' churches, the list is long.



So the first to come to notice was St. Andrew's Church at Boreham, with its covered walkway.  What intrigued me here was the three, I think 16th century effigies, (definitely three Earls of Sussex) with their weird animals slumbering at their feet and heads.  Only of course those Cromwellians had left their mark, with nose cutting and head cutting of what at first I thought of as dogs with chains round them, but I don't know.  Given the marvellous imagination of the time to  what animals really looked like.




I find the carving extraordinary

Essex House, with old 'Jev' our transport that never failed.  It was Paul's pride and joy and Japanese of course. 

This car by the way, pride and joy of Paul's heart was immaculately kept, though Lucy was allowed in it.  But she could never be left alone, for somehow she always managed to turn on the alarm if we left her.  So while Paul mooched round the middle aisles of Lidl for half an hour, Lucy and I would sit and watch the world go by!  Jev is still alive and kicking with Paul's younger son.

North Stoke: Notes; St.Andrews Church, Boreham, Essex

12 comments:

  1. Oh dear! Another church to go on my list! By some weird mathematical law the more I tick off the longer it gets. I often go back through old blogposts and find things that surprise me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My geography is terrible John but I think Alphampstone church is on the Cambridge/Essex border. Great Canfield church is interesting and also Bartlow's church, which has the great Roman barrows behind it. One of the themes we looked at, was how Christianity built on pagan sites, probably to obliterate them of course. I have posted some of my links under "the list is long above".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see that the sole of one of the knight's feet looks just like a modern one! They are usually very pointy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they in their battle dress, surely shoes should be comfortable Tom ;)

      Delete
  4. Memories are so precious aren't they - sometimes photographs are too much for me. I think one has to be in the right mood for them. That church is exquisite - what beauty we have here all around us without going far afield.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The marvellous thing about our churches is that they reflect our history over a long period of time Pat. And it hasn't been about being 'Little Britain' but about the Celts, Romans, Saxons, Vikings or the North men, and then of course the French. Photographs do break your heart I agree but then they recall much happier times as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like that church has a lot of history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Haddock, British churches are full of history, they are like books waiting to be read.

      Delete
  7. Those carvings are wonderful. Your country has SO many of them. We visited a lot of churches and the craftsmanship was always amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Debby life was lived at a slower pace, which meant that talent and creativity had a field day.

      Delete
  8. What fascinating footrests - I thought they were supposed to be lions (albeit snub-nosed due to Cromwell's lot) but then I noticed they had hooves . . . then I looked at your original post and I surmise they must have been BULLS - hard to tell with their heads missing. Then I read further and yes, they were oxen. Monkeys interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a time of fantastical creatures Jennie, so pick your favourite I suppose. Though oxen they could be. Of course with chains and fancy collars, they could have just as easily been dogs.

      Delete

Love having comments!