Tuesday, June 20, 2023

20th June 2023 - Lumb Bank House

I was reading a blog by Paul Knight of the countryside round here, especially Hebden Bridge.   The wooded slopes of the valleys, the old ruined building of the farms that have been deserted - so romantic if  you like decaying buildings and the promise of the history they hold.

  


But what caught my attention was Lumb Bank House here, of which he took several photos from afar.  Originally an 18th century millhouse, it was now a writer's centre, with Ted Hughes name  pinned to it.  He had been asked by two Resurgence writers John Moat and John Fairfax,  Hughes bought the mill and lived in it for several years with his  wife Carol Hughes.  He then suggested leasing the mill for a Northern centre for young writers and eventually the Arvon group were able to buy the house.

It requires quite a bit of walking if you do not own a car, or even if you do, because you have to park the car at the beginning of a long lane.  It must be tranquil in its settings high above the valley and should you be inspired to take a creative writing course, than this is the place for you.  I will put the video of its interior down below.

Do not kill insects.  Well I stayed my hand over about 20 caterpillars of the cabbage white caterpillar they calmly devoured the nasturtium plant in a pot, I haven't checked where they have gone but I did notice a large spider dangling over them; I do not interfere with the natural order of things.  All other nasturtiums are doing fine in their separate pots, courgettes are beginning to appear also.  We have had several downfalls of rain and everyone in town are listing the drains that are blocked for the council to view.  And boy there are a lot of drains not functioning well.



6 comments:

  1. I went on a writing course many years agp. The trouble for me was that having a subject plonked down in front of me is just not my style. As for Lumb Bank - I could neverafford the fees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would not be happy doing a creative writing course either Pat. Maybe I should do an English grammar course though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think such courses are out of fashion these days Thelma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Pat, such words as subjective and parsing don't fit well into today's world. It is sort of let the words flow easily.

      Delete
  4. Yes, with nature it is all about sharing and balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tabor, there is a belated, or what I think of belated action to save insects. We have killed so many because of fear and pesticide they are becoming rare. Greenfly I have always left on the roses because little wasp like creatures love them. Finger and thumb if there is too many.

      Delete

Love having comments!