Tuesday, June 27, 2023

27th June 2023

A blank page?  Memories tumble around in one's head.  Glastonbury festival is over and the litter removed.  Over the weekend there was a country fair in the park, I did not go but it was well attended.  First thing on the chat group next day was an early morning dog walker complaining about the rubbish left behind.  She got a lot of derision for her moan. The volunteers for clearing had only just got up! Did she want to come along? We love to moan but be careful what you moan about.

One of the joys of this new computer is the 'speaking voice', it will read out any blog should I so wish, I suppose it will read out the news as well.  I have just started a subscription to the New York Times, so now that makes two subscriptions to newspapers. As I do Wordle every day it seemed just right especially as you can do more puzzles as well.

I seem to be caught up at the moment in the year 2008, I had blogged before probably from 2005, but 'that trouble; I wrote of earlier made me delete the blog, coward that I am.

It is funny how Glastonbury has encompassed all age groups, people have grown old with it.  As someone who danced to The Rolling Stones - 'Got no Satisfaction' at Eel Pie Island, and twisted the night away at the Southend Palais as a 16 year old, as we have aged our music tastes reflect the age we were brought up in.  

As a member of the Green Party in Bath, years ago I could have got into the Glastonbury festival for free as a helper on their food store. And each year's event with photos of rain and mud amused us all, but the thought of those stinky loos - yikes.

All gone now but fond memories of friends and supposedly being sophisticated.  It sort of feels a better time, when we believed in love and that the world should adjust to a fair system.  Well on that count it has just got worse, or at least it hasn't changed much.  The young have more freedom but the world in which they have grown up is now fashioned against them.



16 comments:

  1. Looking at how everything seems to be manipulated - from banking and cash, to politics and net zero emissions and global warming to genders and how sex education is taught in schools these days, I would definitely like to go back in time! At least we mainly had the 4 minute warning as the biggest threat to our society - and after 4 minutes we'd have nothing to worry about anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That four minute warning was funny though. I mean how did it save us, sitting under the table as the nuclear apocalypse broke, or didn't luckily. i think the banks withdrawing from the common space is terrible, especially when so many people are not ready for it. And the withdrawal of cash from society equally so.

      Delete
  2. Lovely photo of you (presumably) Thelma - lovely dress too. I had a similar one - nearly lived in it - adored it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think mine was a smock from my sister-in-law's shop in Lausanne which sold embroidered tops. Something that is a Swiss speciality.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. True, all those long haired louts from the 60s ;)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. No, never a hippy but probably looked like one.

      Delete
  5. Lovely photo, what beautiful hair. i can hardly remember how it felt to be me when I was young, looking at my old photos is quite a surprise.
    www.mylifeinflipflops.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Difficult to remember being young, you are right. The energy is definitely lost,, and the times all seem so old fashioned but there again Glastonbury was quite happy to show people we have grown old with, wasn't it Paul Mccartney last year who did the honours.

      Delete
  6. Well Thelma, I also danced to the Rolling Stones at Eel Pie Island back in 1962/3. Love the photo and I have enjoyed watching Glastonbury on the television. Could not cope with the crowds or the loos now but thanks to the BBC I don't have to. Janx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a coincidence, the world is a small place Jan. I had a friend who's mother lived on the island as well.

      Delete
    2. Such exciting times. I remember the very elderly lady who collected the toll money that allowed us over the bridge. It always felt very Dickensian. xx

      Delete
  7. What a lovely picture. What lovely memories. We were so optimistic, weren't we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we have to bring our optimism to the fore Debby, those were the innocent days we have learnt a lot along the way.

      Delete
    2. I have been tossing this around in my head today. 40 years ago, I believed anything was possible. Now 'possible' seems much smaller than it used to.

      Delete

Love having comments!