Thursday, June 22, 2023

22nd June 2022

 

Pinks by Charles Rennie Mackintosh

Convoys take farmers' donated pickups from Scotland to Ukraine



In amongst the sad news there are small signs of good news.  Why? it is because people gather together and look after not only the animals and birds but people as well.
The 4x4s donated by local people in Scotland are a direct reflection of people's concern for others.  4x4s are not cheap but are very necessary in a war torn country such as Ukraine, have you not noticed the terrible dam disaster has now slipped by the news.  We are of course into the fate of the submersible and its five occupants, and from what i have read it is probably impossible to save them, though the rescue hunt still goes on.

This is sad news but it also lies alongside other news, and maybe our lack of journalism all round the world needs rejuvenating, and we should not be party to the crap click bait news we are so often offered on our news sources.

One other piece of good news is that Amazon is being questioned over their very deceptive wheedle to get you to join their Prime subscription fee for better service.  Who has not done the dance round when going to pay for the goods ordered the wording you have to not tap to get Prime, apparently it is doubly difficult to get out of the fee.
Small good news

has been discovered up at Hardcastle Crags.

"Moonwort is a weird and wonderful looking plant, which comes with its own mythology. It was believed the key-shaped fronds could open shackles and locks, and the lower leaves were used by fairies for their horses' saddles."

Probably a tale made up by 19th century vicars or collectors of folktales but a pretty myth.
Also, my daughter sent me this, Bath Asparagus, a rare plant to be found round the city of Bath. Rather pretty for an edible wild plant (don't pick)




12 comments:

  1. I was tricked into signing for Prime. I got out straight away, but you have to wait a month for the sub to end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wording creates a sort of maze Tasker, I reckon they want world domination of all goods sold....

      Delete
  2. Good to know about rare plants appearing again - like you say small bits of good news among all the worries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sue, those small groups of people everywhere keep an eye on things and will fight the necessary battles just to save the newt or rare wild flower.

      Delete
  3. I heard that Amazon made £80 billion since covid. I try not to use them, but They pretended to be a private seller when I bought a printer from eBay recently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The trouble is Tom what is the point of £80 billion pounds in the bank? Scammed on Ebay? I'm not surprised of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bath asparagus - what a strange plant -doesn't look appetising enough to pick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect you eat it before it flowers, a bit like the broccoli range Pat.

      Delete
    2. I used to pick Bath asparagus before I knew it was protected. It is delicious. You pick it when young. The Romans introduced it to this area.

      Delete
    3. Well I won't ask where you found it, but I suppose its young stalks (with butter?) would have been delicious.

      Delete
  6. Moonwort is most unusual. I hope it will increase and spread. Bath Asparagus has a flower rather like Bog Asphodel. Hmm, I've had Prime two or three years now - sounds like if I want to cancel it, the process may be a PITA . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is easier to go with Prime than try to avoid it on the Amazon website but I like to choose Jennie.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!