Sunday, June 18, 2023

18/6/2023

How does the day begin?  Water on the stairs this morning, it was coming from a Velux window up on the attic floor.  There are about 6 Velux windows and the one over the well of the stairs was open.  A brush soon put that right and luckily as it is all bare floorboards with rugs no damage done.  It must have rained heavily in the night, which is a good thing.  Scotland it seems is running out of water.  How did that happen with all the rivers and lochs that cover the country.

I am home alone so feel slightly nervous of being in charge of the house, and was debating in the night whether to pull my blog into 'privacy'. Those two things don't go together by the way.  The reason is more like the influx of visitors I have experienced over the last few days.  I have every intention of working on all the churches Paul and I visited, which can hardly be interesting to most people. But every now and then I gather my blogs together, (to form some sort of sense).

I often wonder what sends us all off on our blogs.  Some like churches, other landscapes and then there is a majority who talk about home life and gardens.

We are happy recording our thoughts and action to what we suppose are ourselves, family and friends, but in actual fact could be read by others in far distant lands. How do they see us I wonder.  Do they judge? Does the English life style make them giggle or do they want the same? 

14 comments:

  1. Your last sentence made me smile as I recently overhead a group of Americans on a bus talking about Edinburgh and every second sentence was "it's so fascinating that that's how they do things here!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. America and Britain though they share the same language have different ways of life. Problem is of course we sell our history and the real us is sometimes lost.

      Delete
  2. Maybe the Scottish Nationalists have made an accounting mistake in working out how much water they've actually got.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or they didn't make plans for the future. But the water/weather people are muttering drought, though down here we seem to have had plenty of rain John over winter.

      Delete
  3. Glimpses into life that's more real than what's seen on TV in the news and reality programmes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem with films and television they are never real Sue.

      Delete
  4. Nobody needs to run out of water here. We just run out of treated water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. People here are complaining of strong disinfectant taste to the water, never happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have posed a few questions there which would generate some interesting answers Thelma. Oh would some power the giftee gi us to see ourselves as others see us - or something likethat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure about the gift of seeing ourselves through other eyes Pat, might be some unpalatable truths there....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I blog because someday I won't. I find myself hoping that the stories will mean something to my children. Probably not. Another reason? I enjoy the socializing with other bloggers. In real life, I'm a very self conscious person. Sitting at a computer, I get to know a lot of new folks who show me glimpses of other places. I get to consider other minds. And I am not self conscious at all. Silly, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think being self-conscious on our blogs is not exactly a problem, more the ability to make us think about what we are writing Debby. Subject matter is/should be chosen carefully. But on the whole it is a bit like diary writing.

      Delete
  9. Running out of water seems to be a perennial problem across most of the UK (although NE England has Kielder so is usually OK) - it just might have something to do with another 10million living here over the past decade, and no government being prepared to take the unpopular decisions needed to make provision for them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The government living in their London eyrie just does not seem to govern for the rest of Britain Will. I am angry about the pollution of the beautiful River Wye and the non spending on sewage disposal, which is now beginning to appear around our coastlines and in the rivers.
    Bad housekeeping will not keep any government in office!

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!