Friday, August 11, 2023

Knitting


Mollie at the window


I would like to introduce you to Kutovakika, she is Finnish and a knit ware designer.  Always happy and energetically living her life, her videos are a  must when she produces a new one.  Knitting - well males do not have to watch this video, knitting being out of your scope, though actually there are male knitters out there.

It looks a delightful Scandinavian holiday cottage her family occupy, sun, water and trees. Kutovakika is energised by all she sees and perhaps rather than think knitting is for fuddy-duddy old people, it is increasingly taken up by younger folk.  So I would say to our yarn makers that produce the knitting wool for us.  Would you please go out to Italy, France and the Scandinavian countries and look at what fabulous yarns they are producing

I knit daily, better than a blood pressure pill, and I can listen or watch things on my computer.  Orwell Essay's today, and Melvyn Bragg on the English Language.

I listened to Orwell's thoughts on writing style, it seemed to boil down to do not over complicate your writing, and do not go in for long wordy sentences.  Be simple!





Some things I have knitted recently, in what I would call the 'fluffy' style.  This is done by knitting two strands together, one a double knit or 4 ply, the other strand a lovely  silk/mohair.

You will have to excuse the photos from my lousy camera but I note I can get the 'saturation' about right for the colour.






14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. He is getting very old Pat but yes still designing with his partner and going abroad. I have always found him a tad fussy in his designs, the patchwork range although beautiful individually seem to have to suffer from being 'cut up'!

      Delete
  2. My mother loved knitting and we never bought anything which could be knitted when I was young. I took an interest in it when I was little but social pressures made me stop doing any knitting as I grew up. In her latter years mum's eyesight meant that, though she could still knit, she couldn't sort out mistakes and I often was asked to see if I could sort things out for her. Maybe I would enjoy that video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy it for the glimpse you get into other people's lives John. Knitting was so essential in this country from early on till the last war years that we forget how needed it was at the time. Now it becomes fashionable. I should think your mother found a certain happiness in what is a restful occupation.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely love the green of your fluffy cardi. I'm completely knit-illiterate and hopeless with anything yarny, so I'm in awe of your talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm left handed so can't teach anyone knitting. Much prefer to just knit plain stitch rather than fairisle. But the green cardigan is a favourite, and the yellow jumper which always reminds me of the sun.

      Delete
  4. I’ve read your blog for years but never commented till now. Fellow knitter here. The “cottage vlog” is delightful. Thanks :) If you are not familiar with Fruity Knitting, take a peak at their amazing collection of videos. Well over 130 hour and a half long presentations. Wonderful content. Gill (Canada)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jill, yes I do watch 'Fruity Knitting'. Daughter and mother make a great team, and they highlight the different knitting techniques and patterns round the world.

      Delete
  5. I once made a beach hut wall hanging with his striped material and was really pleased with th result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter's granny used to make patchwork dressing gowns for the children, they were lined with flannel Pat.

      Delete
  6. What a delightful video. Only watched a bit of it but will return when I've done the baking today. (Rhubarb and custard cake). What a delightful place to sit and knit. Though I have beautiful view of the hill and woodland from my garden seat and on a dry day could sit and knit there. Nice to have inspiration as the hat I began in May got abandoned as the summer garden set out its needs! Enjoy your weaving. My friend Kim who lives in France now, has her own lovely craft cabin where she dyes, spins, weaves. I have the summerhouse, so should have no excuses though it's under two big beech trees so I'd need the light on all the time. MUST get back to my patchwork quilt first though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a happy vlog but our weather isn't always up to sitting outside and knitting. She knits topside down, I call it upside down knitting, which I am trying out at the moment. It leaves no seaming to be done but my raglan needs some work in the future...........................................

      Delete
  7. The video is fun to watch and I don't even knit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There you are, it is interesting studying the younger females of our times Hart.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!