Thursday, February 15, 2024

15th February 2024

 Well here I am again demoted to anonymous.  I think apart from the Google warning it is browser configurations, I suspect it was more to do with me fiddling around with Microsoft.  Well I managed before and so will probably find the magic formula soon.

A bit of a panic the other day, the plug beside my computer blew, a strange deafening silence hit the room as the radio cut off along with a black screen.  I did panic for a second, mostly for my expensive newish computer but then went down into the basement, flicked the fuse and things worked.  I am going to get a 'surge' multi-plug soon, though I think the little black box on the lead is one. 

But such triviality is nothing compared to the now successful (well it hasn't landed yet) rocket sent to the moon, privately funded (Musk sadly you will have got too old before you colonise the moon), with, wait for it, 125 small, sculptures of the phases of the moon by Jeff Koons.  Think about that one,  why send representations of the moon to the moon.  Is there a philosophical meaning behind the gesture?  Well when the human race has finally settled on the South Pole of the moon perhaps they will build a museum to house these wondrous art objects.  Actually I would have sent the Mona Lisa, and should any stray alien be passing the moon, would wonder why we spent so much money worshipping a faintly smiling female.

The old clock I bought for Paul's birthday has a very pretty face and a little moon that slowly moves through the phases, though of course it has got it probably all wrong because it has stopped so many times.  But I think Victorian enterprise is something we should admire, the workings of a clock is just as difficult in its time as the genius of a rocket is today.


BBC News and that heart stopping moment when the rocket leaves the Earth.

12 comments:

  1. Oh yes. Microsoft started sending my personal emails to my partner to read. I forget what I did to fix it, Google no doubt, but I know Microsoft initiated it.
    What is the fascination with landing on the moon? It looks rather boring.
    Timing the clock to agree with the moon phases might take much winding of hands, but I think it can be done. But yes, if the clock stops, you will have to do it all again. Stay at home, no holidays, keep your clock wound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a nuisance when the computer takes off on its own journey through life, I suspect it is the three main subjects adding more downloads etc Andrew.
      Bringing the clock up to scratch just to chime the right number of chimes with the hour is enough worry at the moment;) Thelma

      Delete
  2. Your mention of Victorian enterprise set me thinking Thelma. I sometimes think these days, although progress has to be made I do feel sad that individual enterprise - might be the wrong word- seems to be fading away.. We leave everything to technology and It does beg the question 'are we throwing the baby out with the bath water"? Everyone seems to leave everything to technology - eg - we don't need to be 'creative' any more because there will be a compter programme that will draw us a picture. I do wonder how the human race will evolve. Will we end up all sitting looking at one another while machines/robots/AI do everything for us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to see you Pat. I thought about this, I have always loved the way windmills worked for grinding flour. Also the rather complicated looms of the 19th century. But technology is using much lighter materials to make things, though we disagree with the way minerals are taken from the mines by young children. I always remember the Claverton Pumping Station just outside Bath. It took water from the River Avon and lifted it into the canal which ran alongside at one point. AI is an experiment, which may turn out for the worse but humans are made of flesh and emotion and probably will not be seduced by its ease of use. Thelma.

      Delete
  3. I can't see a space ship launch without remembering the Challenger launch in 1986. I was watching at home with my young children, then was horrified when it exploded and I knew those astronauts were lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a terrible event Ellen. Living on the moon is a bit of a pipedream, I expect there is also a cynical core of business who will be looking for minerals to mine as well.

      Delete
  4. Ooh. I have a list of people I would like to send to the moon...*daydreaming smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  5. A surge protector is a good investment!
    My grandfather was a horologist; he could tell if a watch or clock was out of time by listening. During WWII he built Standard Time devices, to keep the armies moving on time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes electricity can be a bit tacky at times Joanne and of course these computers cannot be mended like the old ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing bit of film. I think you need an ANTI surge socket!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clever Tom. You are quite right, I don't need the force as that rocket did.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!