Wednesday, February 28, 2024

28th February 2024

 Mollie has just wandered round the house looking for people but two of them have disappeared in the night by taxi to Manchester airport.  K and A are off to Spain and the mountains for ten days.  Lillie off to college, so we will be the only people around.  Mollie retires to bed.

Yesterday I managed to change my contract on Vodafone, chuffed at my ability to do so, will save myself hundred pounds by doing so.  All done with a very amiable person called Joe, by of course typing in the chat box. He agreed I was paying way over too much and arranged a much cheaper option.

To say that I am scared of not only my phone but actually confronting people is an understatement, quite happy to type words to them but give me someone on the phone and I become worried that I may not recognise their accent, and is it my imagination, or perhaps I am slowing down, people talk so fast nowadays, they never give you time to think.

So I am now drinking my coffee in peace.  The silly email from the doctor's surgery filled in, tell me why at my age they need to know what sex I belong to or what religious belief I bow to.  I did have some fun thinking about 'other' in what gender I am, but decided to be serious (and truthful).

“I worried a lot. Will the garden grow, will the rivers
flow in the right direction, will the earth turn
as it was taught, and if not how shall
I correct it?
Was I right, was I wrong, will I be forgiven,
can I do better?
Will I ever be able to sing, even the sparrows
can do it and I am, well,
hopeless.
Is my eyesight fading or am I just imagining it,
am I going to get rheumatism,
lockjaw, dementia?

Finally, I saw that worrying had come to nothing.
And gave it up. And took my old body
and went out into the morning,
and sang.”
Mary Oliver - I Worried.

9 comments:

  1. I am amused about your doctor's email. Unfortunately when your answer the question sex, it is a drop down box for M, F or Other and you don't get the opportunity to say, often, rarely or never.

    Well done. You do have to keep on top of matters of the tech and make sure you are not paying too much. We people of the written word to seem to struggle with speaking on the dreaded phone, but we have to at times.

    Spain, wonderful, mountains not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think there are quite a few other options Andrew, luckily it is a simple form. As for paying for things, I get a bit worried about bank debits and how to get out of them.

      Delete
  2. I can't remember who it was that when asked to fill in the part of the form asking 'sex' put 'yes'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about doctor's questionnaires. My once a year Medicare "super visit" requires the answers to lots of questions like: Can you dress yourself? Can you prepare your own food? Do you need help in the bathroom? etc. etc. etc. Which just makes me worried about all of the awful events I might have waiting in my not-too-distant future.
    Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, face them IF they come up Ellen.

      Delete
  4. Regularly. At Christmas and on her birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suppose you are talking about form filling for the doctor, but if it is regular does that mean we can play around with what we want to be?

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!